Newbie seeking reassurance....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stricko, Mar 8, 2005.

1. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    OK guys, I’ve joined the ranks of scaler owners, with my shiny new (well, dull black) iScan HD+ nestling amongst the other components. I’ve fired it up and got a picture through it, but only using a motley collection of cheapo interconnects. New cables are on order, but while I’m waiting I thought I’d try and make sure my understanding of the theory is correct. I’ve already had some great input from several different sources, so apologies if I seem to be repeating myself.

Right, the challenge. To connect a low budget DVD player (Samsung HD745) to a Pioneer 433MXE plasma, via the iScan, and achieve optimum quality. (don’t ask why, it’s a long story). The 745 has HDCP output, but the region free hack removes the HDCP bit basically leaving DVI-D.

Basic rules I’m trying to follow;

1. Keep the number of video processing steps to a minimum
    2. Where possible, let the scaler do any video processing.

So I’m starting with digital material on a DVD, essentially in MPEG(2) format. I understand that this is Interlaced.

As I understand it, the DVD player has to decode the raw VOB/MPEG2 files, so there are no options available here. Getting it out of the DVD player there seem to be 2 choices available;
    De-interlace and output via DVI, or convert to analog and output interlaced via component.

Advice received so far is to go via component, as the player is likely to be better at digital/analog conversion than at de-interlacing.

So, the iScan gets the interlaced component input, converts analog back to digital, de-interlaces, and scales.

I’m assuming that the best link from the iScan to the plasma is likely to be over DVI, in the native resolution of the plasma (1024/768 progressive, I believe) as this removes as much processing from the plasma as possible.

Does this all make sense? Have I been listening properly?

I appreciate that I’m trying to apply logic to something that many people believe is a (black) art, and that in the end the picture that looks “best” is the “best” picture. I’m looking forward to hours of fiddling in the future, but I’d like to know that I’m getting the basics right.

Thanks in anticipation. :confused:

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's a good summmary .. especially the last paragraph :D .. on balance it would seem to be a good assumption about the relative merits of the two devices, but the good thing is that you're not burning bridges by going one route, you can always try the other to see, albeit at the cost of 'wasting' a relatively small amount of cash on a 'wasted' cable for the option you don't end up using.

3. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've got boxes full of "wasted" cables and other bits and bobs. It's amazing how you always find a use for them in the end.....

Thanks for the feedback

4. stricko

stricko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm assuming from the 94 views and 1 reply that I'm not doing too much wrong! Cables have arrived today so I'll be spending (probably too much) time over the weekend setting this all up.

Wish me luck!