1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paulfd, May 18, 2002.

1. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm looking to upgrade current equipment as my current amp (Denon AVC-99) does not support any of the newer surround sound formats, only original pro-logic. I have read plenty of articles on amps, set-ups etc. which have added to my confusion. 5.1, 6.1, 7.1, which to choose and why? Amps appear to change at a somewhat slower rate than pcs so would like to balance cost and future proofing if possible.

Currently speakers are Bose Acoustimass 5 front plus VCS 10 centre and Yamaha NS E80 rears. I'm looking for advice on amp, sub and additional rear(s) depending on which amp I eventually buy. It will be connected to TV (JVC 32"), satellite and video recorder with DVD to follow later this year, finances permitting. Room size is around 16 x 16.

Target budget is around £1000 for the lot as someone else does not share my enthusiasm for home cinema! (Her loss not mine).

Thanks in anticipation

Paul

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can help on the sound format issue;

5.1 is Dolby Digital, the 5 stands for left, centre, right, surround left and surround right channels, the main differences from DD and DPL is that these channels all receive full frequencies and are discrete, the surround channels are now stereo.
    The .1 is the LF channel were you need a sub bass to recreate these effects.

6.1 discrete as 5.1 but with an extra channel, centre rear/ surround back, a few dvd's carry this format and should have DTS-ES marking on them. You can listen to a 5.1 soundtrack in 6.1 which can add to your enjoyment on some films, this is where the sound is matrixed from the surround left/right and is then directed to the centre rear/surround back.

7.1 No disc carries this format at the moment, but with the denon 3802 (i have the 3801)with it's 7 channel amps you can play music in 7ch stereo.

cheers bob

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a couple of links for you,

Just make sure that the amp you choose is capable of the sound format you want to create in your room, i.e has the right amount of channels and has the right decoders onboard.

http://www.dolby.com/
    http://www.dtsonline.com/

bob

4. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,
    Thanks for the info, it's cleared up some of the confusion and the links were great. Dolby site had lots of pdf docs to explain most things.

I've listened to the Denon 2802, which was pretty awesome, but aren't they all in a perfect listening room with several thousand pounds worth of speakers (sub was £1500 alone) , projector with 12' screen, very nice Arcam DVD player etc.

I had been considering the 3802, as it has had such good reviews almost everywhere, but is it worth the extra expense for the additional channel? I have read some threads where the 1802 has been suggested as a good place to start. Would I be better spending more of the budget on a good sub/additional speakers or will the 3802 last longer as it looks like it will support 7.1 which appears to be the future format?

Thoughts?

Regards

Paul

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 3802 is a very good amp, but if you have no intention of going the ES/EX route then the 1802/2802 will certainly cater for your needs, then as you said... more of your budget will go towards a better sub and additional speakers.

cheers bob

6. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    the 3802 is slightly more powerful than the 2802 and also has the benefit of a much better learning remote. Its not as good as a pronto remote but its easy to use and easy to programme in your existing remotes as it handles over a dozen different device types.

Regards

A proud 3802 owner for the last 6 months

7. avguysworld

avguysworld

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha 620 DD Amp
    Enough in/outs to suit any gaming/tv/home cinema system
    £250 ish
    Nuff said