newbie Scart to VGA question

rede96

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a lead that will allow me to plug my DVD player into my LCD monitor.

I have found a lead on the net that does Scart to VGA and one that does 3 Phono to 15 Pin HD VGA.

Will these work? Or do I need some sort of signal converter?

Thanks
Red

It all depends on how you are able to configure the VGA input.
The standard video format in a VGA connection is RGBHV, but scart is RGBcvS and component is YUV component. On my plasma I can set via the screens setup menu the type of signal the VGA input is expecting to all of the above, so if you can do this for your screen then you can get one of the leads you mention. Of the 2 I would recommend component to DB-25 as this will give a progressive image if the DVD player can output it. RGBcvS via scart is interlaced only.

Mark.

MarkE19 said:
Of the 2 I would recommend component to DB-25 as this will give a progressive image if the DVD player can output it. RGBcvS via scart is interlaced only.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. I can't set the VGA input on the screen, it's only a 17" lcd monitor.

As I am not really a techie, and don't quite understand all this yet. Would you be albe to me if this lead would do for my LCD monitor?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=scart to VGA&doy=21m10&source=15

Sorry to be so lame, it's just not my thing.

Thanks
Red

What inputs does your LCD have? You mentioned VGA in your first post so I assumed the LCD would have a VGA (or DB-25) socket.
Is the LCD a PC monitor or a TV?
Let us know the make & model and we can then find more info on what will or wont work. Also the make & model of the DVD player may help.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Sorry for the delay in answering, I had to go away for the week.

The monitor I am using is a philips 170B6CS/01 tft monitor with both DVI and VGA input. I have variuos DVD players but the one I think is best is a Prism D240. It has YUV, RGB output with scart, s-video and component outputs on the back. It also has the option for both interlace and progressive scan.

I don't know if that helps any, but I hope so!

Also, on my home I purchased a multi-purpose VGA box to convert the signal. But the quality is crap!

What do think is the best way forward?

Thanks again for your help.
Red

The problem is that a PC monitor works at different refresh rates etc to a TV, so you can't normally feed a TV/DVD etc picture to a PC monitor. There are devices available such as the Pro-V that will do the signal conversion, but IMO monitors don't make good TV's. Even fed from a PC DVD drive I think that DVD replay is poor, but fed out from PC to a TV with a good connection it can look stunning. Therefore I believe the wealk link to be the PC monitor. This is also backed up by the poor PQ when I'm doing video editing. To get a true view of what I am doing I need to connect a TV to the PC.
If you do want to stick to the monitor then I suggest you have a look on the Lektropacks & Keene web sites to see what converters they have for this.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Cheers for that. I might need to look at the problem a different way. The monitor is simply to replace a TV for the in-laws who don't want to pay the TV licence but want to watch DVD.

I even offered to take a tuner out of a portable TV for them but that wasn’t good enough!

I'm looking at a different type of monitor that has DVI or s-video etc but doesn't have a tuner. There must be some that are built for this kind of thing.

So I’ll just take what I’ve got and if they don’t like the PQ then they can either shell out for a licence or pay for a proper monitor!

Cheers for your help.

Red

MarkE19 said:
It all depends on how you are able to configure the VGA input.
The standard video format in a VGA connection is RGBHV, but scart is RGBcvS and component is YUV component. On my plasma I can set via the screens setup menu the type of signal the VGA input is expecting to all of the above, so if you can do this for your screen then you can get one of the leads you mention. Of the 2 I would recommend component to DB-25 as this will give a progressive image if the DVD player can output it. RGBcvS via scart is interlaced only.

Mark.
Hi Mark, what kind of adapter do you use to get from scart RGBcvS to the VGA input of your plasma? Do you know whether the PHD7 plasmas also accept RGBcvS via VGA?

Thank you!

All video for the different sources are converted by the Lumagen Vision HDP and then I just have an RCA RGBHV to VGA cable to the plasma.
I would think that your best option for getting RGBcvS into a plasma would be to get a scart input board. I doubt there would be much, if any benefit going scart to VGA as the scart output from STB etc will be limiting the PQ as it will be an interlaced picture.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom