Newbie Running advice (Home Treadmill)

biggy7

Hi All

So about 2.5 weeks about I bought a Reebok Jet 100 Treadmill for the family to use

my wife and I have been hooked and use it daily before breaky and work

I'm a total newbie to running and a little over weight, on day 1 I could manage about 1 min at 5mph before dying

Fast forward to today..

I now do:

5mins warm up walk at 3mph
10mins jog at 5mph
Alternate 1min 3mph and then 2 mins at 5mph
then final 5mins warm down at 3mph

Total 40mins and my Apple watch says im burning around 500 active cals and im dripping in sweat.

I feel so much better for it, my weight is going down and we are eating more healthier.

Keeping it simple for the time being, I guess my first aim would be to do 5k none stop.

shall I keep on this regime? any other advice? we run a soon as we wake up before breakfast, do you recommend i eat something to give me more energy before hand?

Thanks!

finbaar

They're lots of programs for you to follow that will be suitable for treadmills. Have a look at Runners World for some examples. Lots of others around as well such as the couch to 5k which has a good app
Honestly you don't need to eat before you run, particularly the runs you are doing. Also running after you eat is hard and you need time to 'let it go down' if you know what I mean. So you'd have to get up a lot earlier or run at a different time.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
I cannot eat before a run, tried a few times, different fuels like oats or a banana, tried various times between eating and running and everytime it felt horrible. I run far better on nothing

alex30

Hi All

So about 2.5 weeks about I bought a Reebok Jet 100 Treadmill for the family to use

my wife and I have been hooked and use it daily before breaky and work

I'm a total newbie to running and a little over weight, on day 1 I could manage about 1 min at 5mph before dying

Fast forward to today..

I now do:

5mins warm up walk at 3mph
10mins jog at 5mph
Alternate 1min 3mph and then 2 mins at 5mph
then final 5mins warm down at 3mph

Total 40mins and my Apple watch says im burning around 500 active cals and im dripping in sweat.

I feel so much better for it, my weight is going down and we are eating more healthier.

Keeping it simple for the time being, I guess my first aim would be to do 5k none stop.

shall I keep on this regime? any other advice? we run a soon as we wake up before breakfast, do you recommend i eat something to give me more energy before hand?

Thanks!
First of all I will say that you have done extremely well to improve your performance so much in such a short time. Well done. :lesson:

Secondly I would say do not be in too much of a rush to push your performance forwards. Build up your endurance slowly otherwise you risk muscle or joint injury and that will set you back and may demotivate you. Jog at a comfortable speed which suits you rather than increasing to a point were you are punishing yourself. And, as you are already doing< ensure that you do an adequate warm up and warm down in order to minimise the risk of injury.

Good luck with your new fitness regime. Just remember to keep it under control and realise when you have reached the happy stage when maintenance, rather than progression , is all that is required.

Downinja

Personally not a big fan of the treadmill or gym this time of the year. It's dry it's nice weather, go for a run in the fresh air :)

Treadmill probably doesn't help you run distance as much as you will focus on the speed (you have to run at the treadmills pace instead of your own).

I finished Couch to 5K a couple of months ago, it's a great program and got me running 5K no problem at all. It helped to not do too much to quickly, instead of trying for a 5k after 2 or 3 weeks.
One thing I would advise is keeping weight loss and fitness separate. You might burn 500 calories extra on a run day, but you will also be 500 calories hungrier. Someone once told me "You can't out train a bad diet". Of course it will help with weight loss, but not nearly as much as changing your diet.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom