Newbie resolution question

Lumpy_bd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I apologise if this has been asked before (I did some searches, but gave up having read through several dozen threads that came close, but not quite) but I have a bit of a newbie question in relation to plasma resolutions.

I have a good technical aptitude and have done a fair amount of research in to HD tv (by no means an expert though) so I have an idea of the concepts involved in order to prepare myself for my first HD purchase soon.

My question on resolutions covers that age-old 720i/p /1080i/p question but from a slightly different (I think) angle. I'll base my understandings on the model I have researched the most, the TH-42PX600B.

I know that the resolution of that tv is 1024x768. My question is, what happens if you put a 1080i/p source through this TV such as the soon to be released HD-DVD and Blu-ray players along with Sky HD and xbox 360? Will all 1080 signals be downsampled to 720 on that TV? If so, are there tv's around in the same bracket as the TH-42PX600B that do 1080i? By my understaning you will need something like the TH-50PF9BK to get 1080p, but that's a little out of my reach.

Essentially to cut a long story short, what happens when you display a 1080i signal to a 1024x768 panel?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks

Brett.

Errr... thanks lol.

I was expecting something along the lines of "it will be downsampled to 720" or maybe something like "It will play at 1080 because..." but I suppose beggars cant be choosers :cool:

Ofcourse it has to be downsampled to fit on the screen, but not to 720 vertical but to 768.

Downsampling is not a big deal, if you scale down a photo in photoshop on your PC it will look sharper then the original, upscaling is bad as you have to produce data they are not present in the source.

That´s why SD (eg normal DVD 720X576/480) signals look better on SD panels (852X480) then HD panels (1024X768) the more resolution your screen has the more difficult it will be to decently upscale.

Ofcourse it has to be downsampled to fit on the screen, but not to 720 vertical but to 768.

Downsampling is not a big deal, if you scale down a photo in photoshop on your PC it will look sharper then the original, upscaling is bad as you have to produce data they are not present in the source.

That´s why SD (eg normal DVD 720X576/480) signals look better on SD panels (852X480) then HD panels (1024X768) the more resolution your screen has the more difficult it will be to decently upscale.

Perfect - exactly what I needed. Thanks guv! :smashin:

Just one last thing then, are there any tv's in my range that do native 1080i, or is that going to take the same kind of tv that can do 1080p like the TH-50PF9BK?

Cheers.

Plasma no, only LCD (but you will regret that choice)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom