Newbie Requiring Help with streamer!

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by freakuno, Jan 9, 2012.

1. freakuno

freakuno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm new to these forums but have been browsing them and other sites for days but I've given up...I need help in choosing the right media streamer for my needs...

I'm looking for a media streamer (preferably wireless) that has internal storage and can access the likes of iplayer (itv player if poss). I'm not techy on what I got but I want to be able to push content I've downloaded from my PC to the internal storage on whatever I've bought to my media player. I've only got a router which is G capable (?) but TBH playing HD content from the net isn't really of interest to me - something where I can catch up on telly in standard format is fine. My internet speed is coming in at 3mbps (I know!). When I use iplayer, ITV player on my iphone the buffering and speed is fine - hopefully this will be the same if I use a capable media player.

Please don't tell me to read the forums cause I have but it's all too confusing for me. I acknowledge you guys are probably way high more technier than me but I'm just so confused by what is on the market here.

Was looking at buying a Boxee Box but that has no internal storage. I don't really want to hang an extra HDD off whatever box I buy if I can avoid it.

I've got a budget of about £150.00.

Thanks guys - I'm super confused by all the models that are out there and am turning to you for help :facepalm:

2. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sony do a media box SMP-N200 that does iPlayer and is good at what it does but its also limited. I've not seen anything with ITV player as yet. YouView launches later this year and thats when ITV will join the frey.

PS3 have BBC, ITV, 4 and 5.

Boxee is a good option but not if you don't want a send box e.g ext HDD hanging off it.

3. freakuno

freakuno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for this nx3 - doesnt appear to have hdd built in. I can see I'm gonna be a pain in the butt with this one maybe such a thing isn't available yet

4. awink1

awink1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
  5. freakuno

freakuno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oooo awink1 - cheers for that - had a look and have just added it to my wishlist in Amazon. Perfect for what I want but sadly too high in price :( Will keep an eye on prices over the next while to see if it comes down. Shame!

6. Great Fandango

Great Fandango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Limiting your price (ie. making cost your main criteria) will come back to bite you.

My dad always said, find the exact item you want and then save up for it. Take an extra month or two saving up.

You might find the wait beneficial?... Perhaps a drop in price or a better machine comes onto the market.

Just my tuppence worth (from my own experience having been let down by products only to flog them on eBay in order to fund the better model).

7. freakuno

freakuno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great Fandango.....

You've read my mind. Prior to reading your post I've just added a bunch of stuff to ebay to try and make up the £350 I need for an iOmega Boxee + storage. I'm set now that this is the one I want. Will just have to gather up the pennies but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end and like you say the price may hopefully go down by the time I gather the mo together (and hopefully not up!) :thumbsup: