1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - requiring advice on LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Kodedra, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Kodedra

Kodedra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys, I know this has been covered a million times before, but I am looking at purchasing a 32" LCD and my budget is about £2200 to £2500. Can anyone recommend any decent makes and models? also what pitfalls i should be looking out for.

Kind Regards

Kodedra

2. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Are you sure you only want a 32" ? For the amount of money you want to spend you can get a decent 37".

32" are around £1250-£1500 in the right places. 37" Sharp is about £2200.

Brackets can be sourced from £50 updwards if you want to wall mount it.

3. CarnalSins

CarnalSins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would go for the Philips 32PF9986 and a great DVD player (Philips 900SA or Denon 1910).
    I already ordered the 32pf9986 and having seen it in action I fell in love with it. I had the oportunity to compare it with a couple of the competitors and the 9986 was far better.
    After all the 9986 has DVI, Pixel Plus II, Ambilight and so many other features that lives the competition behind.
    Try to watch as meny sets live to find the one that gives the best PQ in your eyes. Every opinion you read is going to confuse you since everyone is going to tell you that the one he bought is the best (as I'm doing). Go from store to store or even better find a store that has most of the sets side by side. In my case I had the Kill Bill 1 and Van Helsing DVDs with me and tested every set I could to find the one to impress me!!!!

I hope you'll find the one that's best of you.

4. Kodedra

Kodedra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks very much for the input.
    CarnalSins, i know exactly what you mean :thumbsup:

5. Kodedra

Kodedra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

6. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I completely agree with CarnalSins too. It's down to personal preference at the end of the day.

I'd pretty much decided I was going to buy the 32PF9986. I'd read lots about it and liked the idea of Pixel Plus II and Ambilight. However, when I saw the set in John Lewis, it just didn't 'wow' me as I'd expected it to. Despite the sales guy spending the best part of 15 minutes setting it up with a decent source etc. So I shopped around and found the Sharp 32GA4E. To my eyes, the picture was just as good and the set itself looked even better - oh, and it was £800 cheaper too! :D I went for it and haven't regretted my decision one bit.

So, although it's great to hear the opinions of others on forums like this (helpful for making a shortlist I guess), ya really need to go see 'em in action.

Good luck! :)

7. Kodedra

Kodedra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Judders

Thanks for your opinion, I think I've really got to take your advice and pay a visit to a few outlets and do some comparing before I part with my cash. I know you say the picture quality was just as good, but did the Sharp have the same amount of features?

Thanks once again.

8. CarnalSins

CarnalSins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the 9986 from a store in my hometown in Greece for 3000 Euros cash. One of the people who works there is a good friend of mine and reduced the price from 3900 to 3000. But in the deal we made I'll have to buy the DVD player from him too. I'm going to get the Philips DVP900SA if it will be released before Xmas. Hopefully I will get an equally good price. Unfortunately here in Greece the prices are extremelly high compared to the rest of the EU. For instance I found the 9986 for 3200 Euros in Germany while the Greek price was 4600!!!!!
    Anyway I really hope that it will arive soon since I can hardly wait. Today I received the "Kill Bill Vol.2" DVD but I'm not going to watch it untli the new TV will come :mad: