1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Requires Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Soapysoap, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Soapysoap

Soapysoap
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pretty new to this stuf and am considering spending a bit of cash on an LCD screen but want a decent surround sound sytem. I don' want an all in one system because I have already got a decent DVD with prog scan output and am considering getting one that upscales. My main questions are:

1) Do you have to switch the video signal through the Reciever, If you don't will you getlip synch probs etc.I ask this because I'm thinking about a HDMI DVD connection (and most definitley can't afford a HDMI capable Reciever).
    2) My TV has Audio out (red white phono). If I connect these to the amp will it be able to recieve the broadcat Pro logic stuff and will it be able to decode 5.1 soundrtracks on a dvd that is playing (or will this need a digital input from the DVD player.)
    3)I've seen some LCD probs with lip synch are there any features in revievers that can alter sound delay.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Soapy

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    1) you don't have to, and unless the amp has lip sync delay, it won;t make any difference to the sync.

2) audio outs will carry pro logic from tv, and DVD will be pro logic (rubbish) as well if listened to this way. You need a seperate digital cable (optical or coaxial) to carry the 5.1 from DVD's

3) mid range and up recievers have lip sync correction delay