1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie requires assistance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Henryslater, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Henryslater

Henryslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this site although I know a little about two channel stuff.
    I am looking for a bit of advice with regards to my 5.1 that i'm in the process of creating.

My system constists of Marantz sr5300, Sony CDPXE510, Denon DVD100 and AE Aegis Evo 3's (bi-wired). I was previously using a Cambridge Audio C/P 500 combo but the Marantz seems as good - just 'different' and perhaps not as bassy (more 'effecty'?) with more treble. Anyway I am digressing. I have just purchased a AE Aego P2 (sats + sub - I saw them in the shop and they just looked so cute and managed to get them for £75....) and am now looking for a suitable centre. From what I've heard the centre is an 'imporant' part of the system as most film dialogue is driven through here. Can anyone recommend a suitable centre that is discreet (I don't want a huge speaker - as you can tell by my choice of surrounds). I am willing to trade off a little quality -v- style.

Also, would I notice much difference if I add the pre-amp to the Marantz to power the stereo pair? Is it worth it or should I ebay the old amp?

PS: Also the levels on the Marantz are very different from TV to radio - is there any way of levelling them off?

All replies much appreciated...

2. Henryslater

Henryslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Anyone please?

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hmmm, small discrete centre with Evo3's? Not the best idea Henry. You should really use the matching Evo centre for the best sound panning, left to right. :lesson: If you are set on a smaller speaker, then any old one will do really, but will probably sound thin and weedy.

No reason why you can't use a power amp the front channel of the Marantz. Suck it and see....should give your Evo's an extra kick up the backside. :smashin:

Levels? Check the manual - some amps allow you to adjust each outputs level, I don't know about the 5300?

4. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23