1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie recommendations for speakers please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mr Bigglesworth, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I'm starting again, cos I was just getting more and more confused.

The speakers I want are going to be used for mainly Home Cinema, but some music too (lets say 70/30) so I want something thats decent at them both.

I have a Pioneer 350 DVD player (which will be playing cds too - not ideal I know, but very convenient for my medium sized living room) coupled with a VSX C300 pioneer amp.

I was going to get a package system, but seeing as my immediate budget is about £150, I don't think I'm gonna get anything that I'm gonna be that happy with at the end of the day for that price range.

So options are - save and then early next year splash out several hundred quite on a package system that is small and looks cute (Mission FS1 or summin) - or start getting bits separately - and so spend £150 on some fronts now, then add a centre, sub and rears later (have rears I could get away with using for now).

I think I'm gonna go down the seperates option.

So given that I am v new to this and the tech lingo, whats sort of specs/things should i look for in a speaker. Are floorstanders better than bookshelf type ones? What sort of RMS ratings? Of course I will get round to trying them, but would be nice if I could narrow down the choice to a few recommendations.

Finally, since the 2nd hand option off these classifieds is also an option, does anyone have opinions on Tannoy M3 front/MC centre/M2 rears for £175?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I had Tannoy M3 and Mc Centre and for £175 you are buying far better than the rubbish that you could buy new at that price.

Snap them up.

3. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are mission M73s like - could get them to start with - richers allegedly have them in at sub £100, and they seem to have gotton decent reviews.

(Oh and whats the Mission m7c2 like for a centre, and then something like the m72s as rears I guess which would most likely be added when I can afford the rest of it.)

4. Tejpal

Tejpal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get a demo. The missions are very bright, and the tannoys are abit more laid back.

Its what suits your ears

5. i-bert

i-bert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
  6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Beware the Eltax package with your little amp. They want 4-8 ohms and your amp is best with 8 ohms only. Get the Tannoy's first (bargain) then the Missions (also v.good, but pricier)

7. mellow

mellow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the Tannoy MX3's the same as M3's? A pair have just come up for sale at £75 - would they still repesent good value?

Also - the MXC centre - is it shielded?

Thanks (another newbie)

8. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the head up - had a look and they look good - beech too. I've posted, but fear someones beaten me to it :(

From what I've found its shielded - could someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

9. Mr Bigglesworth

Mr Bigglesworth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the difference between the tannoy mx-m (most recent), and the plain mx series?

Also while I'm asking, is there much difference (improvement or otherwise) from the m to the mx series?