1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie really needs someone with knowledge on this one

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Faust, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Posted this on the All in One site last week, but haven't had any replies and I really could use some assistance. Further to what I wrote below, I have noticed that my amp equipment is causing interference to BBC1 analogue, any ideas how to stop this?

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right section for this post or if it should be in the amps and receivers section.

I have just purchased the Panasonic SA-XR30 AV control receiver home theatre system, and I have a few questions to anyone who can answer them. I did not have to much trouble putting everything together, and the system fired up and was away first time. I have used two optical connections, one from my Sky+ box to the XR30 and one from my Panasonic DMRE30 to the XR30. I have also run phono connectors (audio only) from the VCR and Panasonic PL1 TV. to the XR30. The problem I encountered initially was that with both the Sky+ and E30 connections being optical my Sky+ box hijacked all my other equipment. As an example, if I switched from Sky output to analogue the sound output was still from the Sky source whatever analogue channels I selected. Even when I turned the TV off I was still receiving sound from the Sky source. The only way to stop this was to turn the Sky+ box off completely, not very satisfactory. What I have done is to change the XR30 TV select input to co-ax and the DVD/VCR input as optical input number 1. This appears to have solved all my problems. However, I do have a puzzle. The manual states that the speaker icons in the display i.e. front right, centre, front left etc. will only light up if the signal received is from a digital input signal. When I select a signal from the DVD/VCR source i.e. optical 1 that is indeed the case, the icons light up depending on the output e.g. 5.1 or DPL II. The puzzle is that if I select the TV input which is co-ax but from a Sky source, the speaker icons do not light up, but the sound appears identical to the optical source. I have had all the family at various speakers checking for any difference and they all agree that there is no discernible difference in the sound. Both inputs light up the DPL II icon but only the optical input lights up the speaker icons. Therefore what sound am I receiving on the TV input, an optical or an analogue signal, and given that the Sky+ box is only connected via an optical connection, which in theory at least I have changed the TV to a co-ax input, how come I can receive the sound via that connection. I do have the IN MODE selected to auto, which the manual states “automatically detects the input signal and plays”. Sorry if some of you have lost the will to live by this point, but this is my first experience of Home Theatre. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I had been told that this forum was the most knowledgeable for Home Cinema related problems. However, as my request for information seems to have stumped everybody, could someone direct me to a forum where my search for information might bear more fruit? Thanks in advance of any replies.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    ok........can you organise the problem a little more clearly and concisley and i will do my best to help.

4. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think I may have got there. As I said previously, I have made input one coax and not optical, as having input 1 optical meant that my Sky+ box took command of all audio i.e. trying to view analogue output meant I got picture only but audio from Sky. By making input 1 coax and DVDR/VCR input optical.1, I can now choose an optical and coax feed. I have gleamed that what I am listening to when in TV mode is analogue i.e. audio coming via the phono leads although it is still from a Sky source, although it is pretty difficult to tell the difference, and when I select DVDR then it is via optical and I get a true optical feed for both Sky and my E30. If you think this is wrong then I will stand corrected.

5. spoons

spoons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ignore