1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie - Quiet projector wanted for movies and gaming

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by matt_symes, Dec 20, 2004.

1. matt_symes

matt_symes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I'm looking at getting a projector for under £1500 to be used for watching movies and for hooking up to a PC / PS2 / XBox for gaming.

I'd really appreciate some opinions of projectors that, in your experience, might fit my bill.

I'll outline my needs below:

I live next to a bright road so even with the curtains drawn in the living room there's always some light in the room.

Also the projector is going to need to be positioned directly above the sofa so I don't want anything too noisy.

After reading What Hifi I thought it was an easy choice to just go and buy the Screenplay 4800/4805 but I now understand that these projectors, whilst great for contrast, don't push out as much light as other (data?) projectors, so perhaps wouldn't be much good except in a very dark room???

Also, the max res of the 4805 is SVGA and if I'm hooking it up to a PC I'd really want something that's XGA (1024x768).

Thanks in anticipation,

- Matt

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    It has to be the Sanyo Z3 available for around £1200 and if you're quick, that includes a free screen too ! Search the net for top deals.
    I would invest in a blackout blind for your window, they do not have to be black of course, just opaque to light.
    The Z3's specs include:
    1280x720 Pixels resolution ( high def)
    23db 'silent' operation
    2000:1 contrast ratio
    800 ansi lumens brightness

Bargain if you ask me and I own a 4805 !!!

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    The Z3 could be a good machine, once the problems it seems to have are sorted once and for all - especially as you'd be running from a PC... unless you'd be content with bypassing DVi to HDMI and using VGA. I would suggest a Mitsubishi HC900, which is just a tad over your budget, but it is nice and bright. A demo would probably be wise - when I demoed it I found that although I didn't see any rainbows I did suffer some eye strain. It was also a little noisier than I would have liked.

You could get a Sony HS50, and use some black material to block out light... this is what I've done. The Sony is just about as quiet as can be, and given my limited time demoing it I would say it's a definite step up from the Z3.

Decisions, decisions ;)

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I think if you shop around, the Sony HS50 can be picked up for a little over £1500 so that is definately worth a look. I just think for extended use, a DLP may become tiresome to view. I know that once you start playing Xbox games, you can be there for hours !!

5. matt_symes

matt_symes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the suggestions :thumbsup:

I like the idea of having a projector that can handle high res and the 1280x720 of the Z3 is more than sufficient.

I think I'd got all excited about being able to afford a DLP projector but in reality perhaps I'd be better served by getting a good LCD projector with technology that's mature and had all the wrinkles ironed out. Am surprised that a magazine such as What HiFi hasn't mentioned the Rainbox effect at all AFAIK in it's reviews of DLP projectors.

Last Xmas I installed a Sony VPL-EX1 at my parents and whilst this was great for sports and general TV it wasn't very good at all at handling dark scenes. Will the Sanyo Z3 (or the Sonly HS50) be a big step up from the EX1 in terms of contrast???

Cheers again for the advice :smashin:

- Matt

6. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi Matt :)

I know nothing about the EX1, but the Z3 is pretty good with blacks, indeed it's pretty good all round! Having said that, I've owned the Z3 and demoed the HS50 - the Sony eats blacks for breakfast!!

Mark

7. matt_symes

matt_symes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm - yes. I can see that a contrast ratio of 6000:1 of the HS50 *should* give a better image than the EX1 with a contract ratio of 300:1. :)

It has a HDMI interface - do you know if you can get adapters that will map DVI + audio => HDMI? As I only have DVI out of the PC.

- Matt

8. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    There are DVi to HDMI adapters, but DVi carries video images only so you'll need to connect the computer to the PJ with a DVi to HDMI cable for video and use a digital out sound card if you want 5.1/6.1 audio ;)

9. matt_symes

matt_symes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys - in the end I found a good deal on the Z2 (I think) for £850 and it fits most of my requirements (I hope) regarding quietness.

Now for that Amp, Speakers, DVD player etc...