Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Neil_1980, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Neil_1980

Neil_1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

we've recently got sky plus and multi room and had my old sky box located up in my bedroom. Ive got this runnning through a TV card in my PC through a TV card and it all works reasonably well. The only real problems I have are...

1) The picture quality is good but not fantastic through the RF input (as youd expect). The tv card does have an S-Video input which Im thinking of getting a scart to s-video lead for. Is this a worthwile thing to do? Ive heard that there can be problems with the sound being out of phase with the picture using an s-video lead so would it be would this be any better using s-video and an optical out rather than the phono outs?

2) The only pain in the ass thing is I cant control the volume with the sky remote. I know these have codes for different TV's but have they ever been known to work anythign else other than TV's? I use a logitech cordless keyboard/mouse which I doubt very much it would work with but the sound also runs through a denon hifi. Is there any remote possibility that it would work with that?

Failing that any suggestions on universal remote controls that could work a sky box and denon hifi that arnt stupid money?

Cheers

Neil

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    1). A simple scart to s-video lead won't work, you'll get a black and white picture. You will need aa actual convertor. A scart to composite cable will work though and should give a better picture than RF although no sound of course.
    I have never had audio problems with my s-video/phonos setup connected to my PC.

2). Never needed the option myself but I am sure there are codes that allow some SKY remotes to operate AV amps, a google search may prove useful.
    I recently bought a One For All (6) after one of my remotes died on me, works the TV, Amp, DVD and basic SKY (not SKY+) boxes for around £26. Nowhere near top of the range but it does the basics well.

3. Neil_1980

Neil_1980
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the reply, Just being lazy with the volume thing but would be nice to have.

Thanks again