Question Newbie questions

yarg

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been researching on the internet for some months now and all the different options are confusing so eventually thought I better just ask for some advice from the people who know...

I would like to set up a home theatre system that allows primarily for playing our collection of music and DVDs (+-10TB) on our 2013 Sony 1080p TV and ideally also on a few mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, android phone, etc). I also continue using a number of online streaming platforms from back home in the UK although I now live in Europe, so a solution which allows for VPN and outputting an online stream to the TV is also the goal. Finally, in the long run I'm sure everything will go to 4K so it would be good to be able to futureproof against that as I'm sure eventually we will get a 4K TV.

SO...

I had just about settled on a QNAP TVS-673 but today more reading has lead me to wonder whether the better solution might not actually be an HTPC (specifically for the VPN streams) in addition to a NAS of some kind to host and serve the local data.

Is that a correct assumption or could something like that QNAP 673 NAS actually handle everything itself?
Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum, just took a guess at which would be the right one for this question.

Thanks for your suggestions!
G

I am no expert. So, take into account other peoples opinions.

I would rip all the dvd's to the NAS. that would be the central storage for all devices. Get yourself a media player for the tv & stream from the nas. You, could get an HTPC but nowdays, a £50 android box with Libreelec (kodi) would play over the network. You could buy any number for other tv's in your house.
Most tablets etc can get kodi. so again, you could stream from the nas.
There is a vpn manager addon for kodi, can't remember the name of it at the moment. You can get an addon for bbci player not sure about playing from abroad.

Plex is another option. But I think Kodi is more flexible.

You might be able to get plex for that particular nas. https://www.plex.tv/downloads/

Thanks for your suggestions. I never mentioned that I have a Wetek Hub currently acting as a front-end/player using Kodi (Libreelec). Until now I've just been plugging in an external USB HDD and am definitely looking to upgrade that to a NAS.

Unfortunately the Wetek can't handle silverlight streams so I do need Windows somewhere in the setup. Have been doing more reading and am wondering if a VM running Windows could run on the QNAP NAS and I could watch the silverlight streams on TV via VPN through that....does that make sense?

Thanks again!

Thanks for your suggestions. I never mentioned that I have a Wetek Hub currently acting as a front-end/player using Kodi (Libreelec). Until now I've just been plugging in an external USB HDD and am definitely looking to upgrade that to a NAS.

Unfortunately the Wetek can't handle silverlight streams so I do need Windows somewhere in the setup. Have been doing more reading and am wondering if a VM running Windows could run on the QNAP NAS and I could watch the silverlight streams on TV via VPN through that....does that make sense?

Thanks again!
Only the high end business QNAP products can do virtualisation I think. If you want a 4K solution running Windows you will need to build quite a powerful PC.

Silverlight is on its way out, so think carefully before you go to a lot of time and trouble to support it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom