1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Questions: Yamaha RX V750 + Canton Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cwep2, Mar 15, 2005.

1. cwep2

cwep2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Hope this is the appropriate section to post this in, been reading a lot on this site (inc all 34 pages of the canton thread!) for a few weeks and almost ready to take the plunge and order. Some questions, some very basic as I'm a home cinema virgin, for those who have gone along this equipment combo / similar.

1. Both Amp + Canton speakers seem to be popular on here, not many comments on how they sound together though? Any experiences on this or similar setup?
    2. Planning on getting the Amp from germany, I understand the differences to the DSP-AX750SE are minor (apart from the Tuner in the euro version which is a bonus) anyone compared them side to side/can confirm all connections/features are there on the imported one?
    3. Room is fairly big (20'x12') and I will use system for music as well (although 80% movies/tv) so I guessed CD1 package may be lacking especially for music. 2xCD100's 1xCD50 2xCD10's and AS22SC sub seem to be the order of the day. Is this too much/too little?
    4. CD100's at the rear as well, overkill?
    5. Room is carpetted, which sort of sub should I be using (downfiring or not)? 22 or 25 (220 or 250) for this size room?
    6. Extra speakers at rear, how many films actually use these? The surrounds will be fairly close to normal viewing position so rears would almost be on top of them, to me looks unnecessary.
    7. If I decided eventually to upgrade to CD100's as surrounds, could I use the 2 CD10's as rear surround for a full 7.1 setup?
    8. Cabling... I know it's a contentious issue, am I right in thinking it's more important for the front speakers (ie spend a bit more on cables for these)?
    9. Bi-wiring: pdf manual on Canton website says bi-wiring possible, Jake saying today they're not bi-wirable. Even if they are, am I right in thinking again it's more value to do this fronts? Is it even possible to do for surrounds as well (connections on amp only show A+B for front speakers)?
    10. What sort of wire do I need for the sub, same as for other speakers?
    11. I'm a bit ham fisted when it comes to wiring, esp with something so expensive: will richer sounds etc attatch banana plugs to the speaker wire if I buy both from them?
    12. Speakers in another room - can I use the B terminals to send to speakers in another room? What do I need to know to do this (do they have to be same 'ohms' as the A speakers etc?)
    13. While I get to choose the equipment, the other half has the call on decor, struggling to find pics of the cantons in the other colours, any links anyone can point me towards? I have obviously tried the canton website and most retailers I can find stocking them but they just show off the ally ones (which do look nice!).

Finally
    14. I've maybe been swept along a little by the majority in these choices. While they do seem good value compared with UK rrp, what other Amp/Rcvr and speakers should I be aiming to listen to before final choice. Obviously looking at around £1000 Amp/Speakers/Cables with the CD 2.22 setup, 80%movies/TV, 20% music, any suggestions? Any direct comparisons people have done?

This site has been a goldmine of information so far and definitely helped me taking the first steps in home cinema, a big thanks to everyones advice in the numerous threads, it's definitely going to save me a load of money, although It'll probably just make me up-spec my original thoughts to compensate!!

Thanks, Clive

2. fozzybronze

fozzybronze
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ***...14 seperate questions.

1.No Idea sorry
    2.Got my 750 from Technikdireckt. Excellent service. My amp arrived before the rear/centre speakres from Nottingham and fronts from London. I have never used the receiver...why would I; its connected to Sky Digital? Otherwise everything is OK; Euro-plug is sent through an adapter, although I hear you can just cut it and connect to a Uk 3pt plug...or buy an upgrade cable.
    3. NIS
    4. NIS
    5. NIS...cant afford sub yet.
    6. Not many on Sky and TV, unsure on DVD
    7. NIS
    8. I have the same cables allround
    9. NIS
    10. NIS
    11. Yes. 7oaks, even soldered my speaker cable without me buying either the cable or the plugs from them...obviously they charge me.
    12. Yes. This is possible...as for Ohms NIS.
    13. Mmmm. Common story. The wife raised her eyebrows at the fronts (Mission m34i) but was happy to accept a compliment from her friend who praised the styling????... The rears are (as I have stated in other strings) near invisible, and blend (as wall-mounters) into the back-ground.
    14. My set up is: YAM 750; missions 34i, m3 centre, m5 rears

This forum is, I paraphrase you... a God send... saved me £700

3. Jake James

Jake James

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear cwep2

1. Canton & Yamaha go well together, (I had an a2 for a long time)
    2. -
    3. CD1 will fill the room, But CD2.22 will sound even better and be better at music
    4. CD100's at rear will give you a better all round sound but CD10's on the rear will be fine
    5. You said that you will be mainly using this for AV. Therefore either 220 or 250 would be my choice
    6. -
    7. Yes, you could use the CD10's as rear surround
    8. Yes, But if a jobs worth doing.... i'd put the same throughout
    9. Trust me, you can't bi-wire them
    10. You will need a sub lead
    11. you cannot use banannas with the CD series
    12. Yes
    13. Most pic's show the CDseries in the aluminium finish because it was launched first, The new colour is black and this is in a satin finish as well, with the drive units in silver
    14. check out Denon 2805

regards

JJ

4. bobinski

bobinski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just wanted to add that i have the cd1,s in black and they are gorgeous.Very glad i didnt get them in silver.Personally.