1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions, technical - CRT

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by peejay, Jul 21, 2003.

1. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm new here. I'd be grateful if the wise and generous folk of this forum could give me a few pointers to help me join the ranks of plasma owners.

I've been thinking of getting a new TV for some time (currently have 28" 4:3 set, watching stuff in letterbox - ie quite small). Until recently I'd assumed I'd be getting a 32" widescreen CRT to replace it (eg Panasonic PD30) so have been lurking on these forums finding out what people think about these. Now I'm thinking about maybe getting a plasma - in for a penny, in for three thousand pounds.

But I'm confused that many of the things I (think I) know about CRTs aren't discussed about plasmas. In particular, 100hz as opposed to 50hz, the digital processing that accompanies 100hz and the problems often related to it, and the various pixel count increasing features that started with Pixel Plus.

I'd assumed that you needed 100hz as screens got bigger because you noticed the flicker more, but I can't find anyone talking about this issue about plasmas. Is it because the technology is different so it's not relevant? Is it because they're all 100hz? The buyers guide at the back of What Video Widescreen Entertainment lists several screens as 50hz though.

There were lots of problems with 100hz CRT sets when they first came out because the digital processing introduced at the same time made the picture look worse rather than better. Yet there's no discussion that I can find about this on plasmas. Is this because they don't tend to have such processing? Or is that manufacturers have basically worked out how to do this now so it's no longer an issue?

I know Pixel Plus, though getting excellent reviews from magazines, is viewed less favourably in these forums. Perhaps other manufacturers have overtaken Philips on this (eg Panasonic PD30). But the point is this seems to have become a plasma issue only recently. I'd have thought that a bigger screen with a higher pixel count needed pixel count boosting processing all the more. Am I wrong? The only plasmas I know of with this feature are a new Philips and the new JVCs. (Though the 35" JVC looks bizarre to me - what's the point of having pixel count boosting innards if the actual vertical resolution of the screen is less than PAL to begin with?!)

Lastly, and this is nothing to do with my confusion about applying learning from CRTs to plasmas, but inherently about plasmas - I was looking very favourably at the Hitachi 42PD3000, but read a couple of threads where people said they had dead pixels. Is it that most plasmas have them and usually you just don't notice them? Or is it just that particular model I should be wary of? Or is that most screens are absolutely fine and I shouldn't worry?

Thanks for any help, o sages.

Peter

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The 100Hz was to try and reduce filcker (CRTs being interlaced displays). CRTs break the picture into horizontal lines. In the case of PAL the odd lines are displayed & 1/50th of a second later the even lines are displayed maing a full frame every 1/25th of a second (25fps) . 100Hz sets are refreshing faster to try and disguise this interlacing.

Plasmas are progressive devices by nature and disply full frames.

No dead pixels on mine. If you order from a reputable on line dealer you have distance selling rules to protect you & if you find any you can return it in 14 days. (you may have to pay courier fees dependant on who you deal with but it will be a fraction of your £3,000+)