1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Questions need advice please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by EAZYROG, Sep 7, 2005.

1. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm just in the middle of designing my new home AV system and i've got stuck.

I'll be boing for a Plasma that will have 2 Scart inputs and a HD ready DVI input.

However, i would like to conect up the following kit :

DVD Player - Scart
    Video Player - Scart
    Showcentre 200 - Scart
    Sky Digi Box - Scart
    PC - VGA to to DVI maybe
    And possible 2 more scarts needed for Home CCTV

As you can see i'll need a fair amount of scart connections, but the TV only has 2/3.

Can you please point me in the right direction ?

Thanks

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
  3. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD player would be best through component if possible which could free up a scart...

...anyhow just look for an amp/av receiver which should sort this out

I'm in the same boat (just bought a 42pe50) but I'll be dumping the video recorder as I'm getting sky plus and putting all the cables through an av and have the cables between the AV and the Plasma chased into the walls

4. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, another bit of kit.

Is there no AV Amp that can do this at the same time

5. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could just clarify the last question?

6. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a Clue,

Sorry mate, i was replying to mep and you must have posted in between.

MY screen's only got two scarts and a DVI input.

Can you please explain a little more when you say "anyhow just look for an amp/av receiver which should sort this out"

do you mean i can get an AV AMP that all my devices can plug into then simply conect the av amp to the screen, if so you got any suggestions ?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Yes, an AV amp can sort your problems out, and you need one anyway to run your surround sound. I'd suggest looking at the Denon 2805, and Onkyo 603, unless your room is very large. Depending on what plasma you choose, you could also opt for a scaler, this will have multiple inputs, and will also do wonders for your PQ with the right screen connected.

8. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank MAW,

Ok, i'll start searhin for the Denon in a sec, but let me confirm i'm not confused.

I'm getting the Philips 50" HDTV which has two scart inputs and one DVI.

I use a scart from the Denon to the Screen.

Then from all my devices (sat, dvd, video, etc etc) is use simple scart to scart leads and plug them into the Denon AV AMP.

Then, when i want to watch any of the devices i switch to say AV1 on the screen anf then use the Denon Remote to choose the Source.

Does this make sense or am i confused.

Thanks

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You are confused by buying a philips screen, they are living in the past. The denon, BTW is the more expensive option. You haven't heard of Onkyo no doubt, in spite of them being the biggest Hi Fi manufacturer in Japan? Is that sat sky or sky+? Or something else?

10. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pay peanuts, get monkeys. How is it so cheap ask yourself. Recent philips plasma has been well below par. Here I can see one corner they have cut immediately. That DVI-I port is the digital connection and the analogue connection, you can't connect both a DVD player or sky Hi def digitally and an x-box with a hi def pack, say. You have to unplug the cables, and reconfigure the port in the setup menu. I haven't seen one run so cannot comment on the PQ apart from other Philips pixel plus plasmas, which have left me cold. 10000:1 contrast is pure BS, there is no such thing. 0 msec response time? The doc is written by the marketing dept, not the technical dept. There is no support for native resolution in any format either. There, you asked an opinion, sorry it's not very nice. Hope you are having it delivered, not collecting, unless you have a big van, Philips boxes are a laughing stock for their size, I'd love to see the box for this, the 42 box is bigger than a Panasonic 65, I've seen them side by side.

12. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Eazyrog, listen to MAW - he know's his stuff... and go and look at a Pioneer and Panasonic HD set and you'll see the difference.

If screen size is so important, you could always opt for a HD projector?

13. EAZYROG

EAZYROG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MaW, Chris and team.

First of all thanks to all for the input as i really appreciate it all (big time AV starter)

So, let me start by, Pay peanuts, 2100+ vat is not peanuts to me by now way at all. I currently have a Panasonic 36CRT Tv thats been going for 5 years or so and i love it, A mate of mine told me about the Philips and at that price there is nothing around.

Now you also mention that the Philips are below par, i dont understand how you can comment on this model, as its Brand new, comes in the UK in around 3/4 Weeks, if you look at the spec its unreal.

That is unless you can show me a Screen that has all these features at around the same price?
    (If screen size is so important, you could always opt for a HD projector?)
    42" or 50", can you please tell me if you think a 42" screen would be better than a 50", do you loose the quality because its bigger etc.

DVI Input, Yes theirs only one but i understand this is not a problem as you can get Switchers etc.

Final Question:
    Whats the best 42" HDTV ready screen that you suggest.

Also, incase anyone's woundering i only went for the 50" as its so cheap.

14. chrisw

chrisw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Never buy electronics based on how cheap they are - do your research, read reviews from the experts and take advice from people in the know. MAW makes his living from this stuff, and if he recommends crappy products to people, it won't be long before he goes out of business.

I don't think anyone was saying that £2100 is peanuts - just in comparison to what the other leading manufacturers would be charging for a similar set. I have had the displeasure of putting up with a phillips TV for some time (not by my own choice) and would never ever buy a TV of theirs based on this experience. On the flip side, my own Sony has been as solid as a rock for it's entire life.

Go to your local AV shop and ask to view a number of plasmas side by side (if possible) playing the same material. You'll notice a massive difference between the picture displayed and you need to pick the one which suits you and your wallet best. Don't really on specs - you wouldn't buy a car based on what it said on a bit of paper, you'd go and have a play and see which you really liked.

As for which 42" is the best - no one can tell you that, but most sales are split between Pioneer, Panasonic, Hitachi and Samsung (and a few LGs) and if you search these forums you'll get a million and one opinions as to why each is better than another.