1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie questions about Radeon cards

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by groovyclam, Mar 28, 2004.

1. groovyclam

groovyclam
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm just about to build my first HTPC, it will be used to watch DVDs, family photos, and record from a SkyDigital box ( and watch the recordings obviously )

I've already chosen a SweetSpot to get RGB in from the SkyBox and I am now considering the card I require for output to a CRT widescreen Panasonic telly.

I have read that you can rig-up a cable to allow RGB-out from the VGA port of Radeon 9000 series cards, so that is the way I want to go to get RGB all the way from the SkyBox to the telly.

1) My first question is a bit dumb, but I need to ask it -> will you get RGB with the modded cable with Radeon 9000 series cards from *any* manufacturer ? I can't seem to find info that says it has to be any particular manufacturer. Some people talk about "ATI cards" when doing the RGB output but I presume they mean the Radeon chipset rather than a Radeon card specifically manufactured by ATI. Or do I actually need an ATI manufactured card ?

2) My next question is should I go 9200 or 9600 -> I won't be playing PC games on the HTPC - it will just be for recording/watching
    TV and DVD. Is there a significant difference between these two cards for those functions ? Can the 9200 cope with displaying fast pans and such ? I can't stand banding or blocking so do I need a 9600 or will a 9200 suffice ?

3) I want a card without a fan - the 9200s seem to not have fans but do all 9600s have fans ?

4) Is there any picture quality difference between the manufacturers ? Will a dabs own-brand card give the same quality as the same chipset Sapphire for instance ?

4) Finally what exactly is VIVO ? From what I can gather it seems to be a way to make the s-video port bi-directional. Is this true of all Radeon cards ? Does it need a special cable or special software ? If so, do these come with the card ? Can a VIVO card be used as another input capture device at the same time as displaying something else ? Can a VIVO input be used with ShowShifter for instance ?

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Any Radeon based card should do fine. There is some inherent quality difference as far as image goes between manufacturers so the reknowned brands are recommended (Sapphire are well regarded)

Borrowed form another thread:

http://oellerer.net/infinity_classics/!!!/Blocking.jpg