1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Questions about a Bargain Bin ECP 4100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by p00nlog, Apr 10, 2005.

1. p00nlog

p00nlog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a few questions pertaining to my newly acquired Electrohome ECP4100 that I can't find answers to in my general Google and Forum searching, so I was hoping some knowledgable person(s) here could help me out. Anyways, first of all this projector came from a University surplus sale. My brother was browsing the sale, and called me up asking if I had any interest in a CRT projector. There was a few in various states of disrepair and price, but the one he picked up was $50 US.

Upon getting it home, we set it up in the living room and acquired a blury, upside down, and horribly converged, albeit reasonably bright image. Carted it up to the Attic, tacked up a shower curtain with a sheet over it as a makeshift screen, and set it up as best we could from the instructions in printed out manuals we found online. Fast forward a few hours, and we got the image flipped, the convergance close-enough for government work, and the image undistorted. From what I could tell in my miniscule knowledge of such things, and in comparison with internet charts, the tubes are not all that worn. Of course, I only peered through the lenses with a flashlight, but the one sure thing is that there is absolutley no burn in(yay!), and the tubes are still easily bright enough to project an image in a dark or very dim room(yay!).

First of all, does turning on and off CRT tubes put a larger amount of stress on them? I'm used to DLP/LCD projectors where the start up of the bulb puts a huge amount of stress on it. I only ask because I have the projector hooked up to my computer, and whenever I open a full screen game, even set to the same res and refresh as the desktop, the convergence goes all off and I have to turn off and turn on the projector to fix it, and I want to make sure that doing this every now and again isn't going to seriously detract from whatever life my tubes have left.

My other question is about focus. I can't for the life of me get this projector to focus enough so that 12pt text is easily readable at anything over 800x600 resolution. I know a large part of this is the light lost through the sheet. I did see an improvement putting the shower curtain behind it, and playing with the manual focus, but I still can't get it quite there. Is this likely a problem with the physical position of the tubes, something else with my setup, or the screen?

Sorry I wrote so much... hope I didn't distract you from something really important. Few quick pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I think there are two questions here.

Yes turning on / off regularly will stress projector. a matter of hitting the magic balance of run time and screen burn. ( tend to leave my own projector running with a moving picture most of the time.

Focus. the three little white knobs on the top of your projector are the elctrostatic focus and control how the the beam of electrons focus the tube surface. give those a tweak. if you are convinced the image is not sharp