1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question_Speaker_RMS_Receiver

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by whattodo, Aug 9, 2005.

1. whattodo

whattodo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since I am really newbie, I am asking this silly question, please do not lough at me. :blush:

My mains are 200 watt, surrounds 200 watts and center is 100 watt. I plan to buy a new receiver Arcam 300/250 or Denon 3805.

Since the power of the speakers are different than the each other (center and the others), how can I adjust the output of the receiver for each speaker? Or is it necessary to adjust each speaker output seperately? I do not blow my center speaker.

2. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The watt rating has nothing to do with how you set the volume. It's supposed to be an indication of how loud the speaker will play without blowing up. But there aren't any standards for how to measure it, so in practice it's pretty much meaningless.

In balancing mains, surround and center the issue is sensitivity, which is how loud the speaker will play for a given signal (as well as room acoustics). Receivers normally have a special setup section to do this. They put out noise on each channel. You use a level meter (typically from Radio Shack) and adjust the channels until the volume is the same in each. This has nothing to do with the number of watts the speaker maker claims for each speaker.