1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by arkaig, Jun 30, 2003.

1. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Can somebody explain where the video input sockets come into play on an amp? I take it you can put your DVD out (composite/s-video) through your amp then to your TV? (through the monitor out socket?)

Why would you utilise this type of connection? I presume the better setup would be....

DVD > Scart >TV (RGB) & DVD > Optical/Coax > Amp?

Thanks

Arkaig/Davie

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    Depends how much kit you are using and how many AV sockets your TV has. Receivers can be used as a central hub to switch all the sources. To be honest it's really geared up for the USA market as they don't have Scarts so use S-Video, Composite or Component.

It comes down to personal preference as to whether you connect direct or go via the amp/receiver. :)

3. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your current connections would be fine in normal set-up.
    Some Amps/Receivers have On-Screen Display (OSD) feature for set-up purposes so you need to connect your DVD S-Video out (as an example) to S-VideoIN (DVD) of the amp then another S-Video cable from the MonitorOut towards your TV.

I you don't want to connect your DVD to your amp then connect it directly to your TV using S-Video or Scart and use ordinary video single RCA from amp monitorOut to TV RCA input for set-up purposes (if you have OSD feature. remember some amp don't have this)

4. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to tell you.
    My 2011 has a limitation as well. When using component video from DVD -->Receiver --->TV, I need to use RCA connection for OSD set-up

5. arkaig

arkaig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think my Yamaha HTR5550 has OSD. What's HDTV by the way?