Newbie question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mooby77, May 25, 2003.

1. mooby77

mooby77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm about to buy all in one system and have budget of approx £500
    Currently i have seen for £499 the Panasonic XR system and was wondering if there is anyone with an opinion on it, is it good value or what alternatives there are

Also looking at Pioneer DCS505 £410.05 and Panasonic SCDT310 Multiregion from https://www.digitaldirectuk.com for £392.47

Thanks
    Mooby77

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Welcome to the forums :)

Is there a particular reason that you're considering going down the all in one route as opposed to seperates?

Most members on here (including me! ;)) would recommend going down the seperates route - sound quality is generally superior, and it also gives you much more flexibility a bit further down the line if you choose to upgrade individual components (or should I say "when" ;))

£500 is certainly a reasonable budget to consider seperates with... Maybe you could give us some more information with regards to what you're after and we try and come up with a few more suggestions for you :)

K.

3. mooby77

mooby77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply
    Well it's probably more to do with asthetics than anything , plus space available .
    See girlfriend for more info :)
    But the drawbacks with a all in one system are known , so i would welcome suggestions for a separate system. DVD,Receiver,Speakers, again only have £500 budget

In importance i would say visual then audio, as will keep existing hi-fi , which is separates btw :)

Thanks

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Look at Yamaha HTiB 45/65 from hifi bitz as well as their pioneer 454 VSXC100 and speakers offer Looks like all in one but with seperates so easy upgrade path.
    See here and also here

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    How about for a DVD like this (£70):-

http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=205744

An amp(£180):-
    http://www.richersounds.com/index.php?f=itemdetl.php&p=206385

Speakers(£260):-
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0_Qbjt0S8GAQ&vp=6&bg=216&bp=cin71b&bi=0

This would sound better than an all in one system of a similar budget imo. I've had the Mission m71 package myself in the past and found it to be an admirable performer for both movies and music. The Yammy amp has had rave reviews and the dvd is multiregion and a bargain at this price.
    Best to get a short list of kit your interested in and going to your local hifi dealer to have a listen.

good hunting:D

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    When you say visual then audio what sort of display will you be using? PLasma????? CRT TV????? Makes the choice of DVD player very important or you could use a DSP E 800 and add the AV into your existing HiFi setup. Much better sound quality.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    As Hawklord has indicated, Richer Sounds is more than likely you're best bet if you decide to go for seperates. My only word of caution, would be to do your research before you go, and stick to what you want :)

It's all to easy to get talked into going for one of their "fantastic offers", which usually comprises of Newcastle Sherwood, and Eltax components! ;) By no means bad, but not always the best :) (Although they're have been exceptions before I get lynched! ;))

Have a look at their website at www.richersounds.co.uk and see if anything takes your fancy.

K.

8. DirkGently

DirkGently
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mooby, where did you see this, I have a friend who is after one of these and has only found a best price of approx £675 so far.

9. mooby77

mooby77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At local Comet in Bristol , guess it could have been priced wrong,
    also check out http://homepages.force9.net/grahamash/magic/indexhome.html , it is currently on sale for £599

mooby..

10. DirkGently

DirkGently
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, I've passed the details on, of course the one in Comet would not be multiregion either. Don't know what it sounds like but I must admit it looks the dogs.

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    You could get the one from comet chipped to be able to play all regions but you'd lose your warrenty. Companies like techtronics are pretty good for this upgrade and will give you some guarentee I'm sure. Still I'd shop around and get a multiregion one to start with so you don't have the hassle of not being able to play any disc.