1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by plasmawannabe, Apr 16, 2003.

1. plasmawannabe

plasmawannabe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if you guys get this once a day, but I searched and wasnt really happy with the answers I found and wanted a more current update.

I really want to purchase a plasma TV, but 3k is as much as I can spend.

I know about the Gateway model for 2999 and I also noticed that buy.com has a Cornea model for 2999 with rebate.

Why would I regret buying these cheap models? I will use the plasma for xbox and DVD.

Thanks very much for the help.

2. sharon

sharon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference between those budget models and a Panasonic or Pioneer is really quite significant... I can't comment on the exact models you list but in general you will find lower contrast, little or bad support for progressive scan (important for your xbox), more drop-out (dead pixels) and generally a more washed-out display. You will probably regret it but at the very least ask to see whatever you want to buy alongside a panasonic or pioneer so you can compared.

Or search around for a cheaper or ex-demo model - I found an exdemo Panasonic 42" for £2350

Sharon

3. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and also remember that there are other brands apart from Panasonic and Pioneer to choose from :devil: