1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by deanogtv, Dec 3, 2004.

1. deanogtv

deanogtv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First off great forum but please bare with me as I'm new to the whole DVD/ Home Cinema world. I've just bought my fist apartment and decided I want a half desent entertainment system. After doing a bit reading up on , I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Panasonic Scht520.
    Question 1 is, can I get the system coded to turn it into a multi-region player, if so where.
    Question 2, Would it be worth up-grading the speaker wires that come with the package to something a bit better.

Any advance would help.

Deano

2. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Deano,

Have you already bought? If not, I'd suggest buying one that's already modded, like this http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_23393.html

If you have already purchased, I think you'll need to find someone who can chip it, cos I don't think they're hackable via the remote. Obviously I could be wrong there though. :)

As for speaker cables, I think it's always worth upgrading them - if you've got the cash to spare. Manufacturers don't tend to ship their kit with top-notch cables cos a) keeps the cost down b) they know darn well you'll replace em anyway!

Hope that helps.

Jud.

3. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As far as speaker cable goes I would actually go against the grain on this (and will probably get shot down by others). When you're talking AV equipment at this price point then the audio performance between using what is supplied and going to the suprisingly expensive business of buying new high quality cable - the difference will be negligible and probably in-audible. This is not to be-little the Panasonic in anyway.

Of course, it would be a different story if you had spent a thousand or so pounds on AV equipment and then had some cheap cable linking it. I reckon best invest in a high quality SCART linking your TV to the DVD unit.