1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by danfrance110, Oct 13, 2004.

1. danfrance110

danfrance110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've just moved house and have aquired a nice dedicated room for my home cinema all be it a small one, 5m X 3m! Decided to go for M&K K series speakers or possibly S85s but am unsure what receiver to go for. Anyway, after reading a few posts about M&K speakers and the need to pair them with good amplification I am unsure whether to go for an integrated receiver or power amp/processor which to be completely honest, I know little about. So a few questions, can somebody please explain the advantages of power amp/processor over integrated amps. And with a £1000 budget, what road would you go down to power K Series or S85 speakers and I don't mind buying second hand to get the best posssible sound. Your recommendations would be greatfully received.

Many thanks

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would say that with a £1000 budget for an intergrated av amp you should have no problem driveing the speakers you are looking at, obviously more power is always a good thing and if you can live with seperate power amps why not ;)
    But for your 1k you could get a Denon 3805,Yamaha 2400,Pioneer AX5i which are all very good amps, i would also suggest maybe trying to demo them with the m&k speakers if poss to see what you prefer.

John :)

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Danfrance,
    I would suggest go down the good quality integrated for now. Providing the amp you buy has pre outs (Most better quality amps do) you'll be able to add a power amp at a later date if you feel the need. The improvement is usually very worthwhile but skimping at this stage on the processor to get a power amp as well may not be the best way to go.
    Have you considered second hand or ex dem? With a £1000 budget on second hand amps you could really get some nice kit.
    HTH