1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by SAINTSFAN, Jan 29, 2004.

1. SAINTSFAN

SAINTSFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying a DVD recorder mainly to transfer all of my home movies (VHS) to DVD. Never using a DVD recorder before, I am looking for ease of use as one factor. I also want good quality (as these are treasures obviously) and cannot afford the top of the line high tech machine. I considered buying a DVD recorder/VHS combo at Best Buy (Zenith) on sale this week for only around $400, but figured I would check and see if that was a bad idea. It sounded easy to use. Do you have to spend a lot of $$$ to get a recorder that allows you to "chapter" or "index" your DVDs? I think this would be helpful in locating changes in dates/events on the home movies. Thanks for your help.

2. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to chapter or index your recordings, a PC with a DVD recorder is the best bet.

3. SAINTSFAN

SAINTSFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would some of the dvd recorders with hard drives not do the same thing? I guess the less expensive DVD recorders do not offer chaptering?

If I did add a DVD recorder to my PC, wouldn't I have to get some device that would read the VHS onto the PC and then some sort of editing software? How much are we talking about? Is that the easiest way?

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    THe hs2 doesn't do it, but I think the new E100 does. I don't know about other makes, but you are talking £600 at least, or possibly £800 for the E100.
    Definately cheaper to go the pc route if you already have one that can do the job.
    My hs2 puts an index mark every 5 mins, isn't that near enough to find what you wan't? Personally I put an index card on the dvd case with times to the exact second of significant points. These are very easy to get to then using the time display on the recorder

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I recently bought the E100 and a PC DVD Writer (LG 4040...)

I'm using everything to it's full potentional...

On the E100....

The 80 gig HD for timeshifting in XP via RGB.
    The firewire to transfer digi camcorder to DVD.
    S-video in to transfer old SVHS/VHS to DVD.
    PCMCIA slot to view still pics from digi camera.
    Partial erasing, paly lists etc

LG

In the case transferring all tape stuff, Iusually go direct to RAM, make a few basic edits with PE and then import it using TMPGenc DVD Author on the PC.

It's MUCH better for creating menus and chapters, with or without thumbnails.
    The E100 (just like the Hs2) is a WASTE OF TIME for doing anything with DVD-R. You can add manual chapters but these don't appear on the main menu that it creates. Only Program stops appear.

As I love messing around with software then I don't mind going through all the processes of importing, outputting large files on teh PC. The end result looks great.

Here's some I did earlier....

http://medusa.ee.umist.ac.uk/qdvd/

http://medusa.ee.umist.ac.uk/mkproject/

6. SAINTSFAN

SAINTSFAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So there is at least some sort of index/chapter even on the cheaper recorders to aid in finding a selection? Given that, what would be a good, reasonably priced recorder to meet my needs above? Would the zenith combo (DVD recorder/VHS) be a waste of money for this? Thanks

7. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit hard for us to guide you really on US-specific brands like Zenith as this is a UK site and you're presumeably living in the USA.
    I think there is a US version of AV Forums (probably 100's!) so that would be your best bet..

Simon