Newbie question... Which amp do i go for??

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Ricky fox, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Ricky fox

Ricky fox
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all first ever post on ere.... Would like some imput / help on a couple of things so here goes.. Ive got monitor audio Bx6 Floorstanding speakers with BX centre speaker etc running on a yamaha rxa 2030... i want to use the main 2 speakers on a seperate 2 channel amp but am undecided on what to go for as heard many good and bad things on the 3 ive singled out ( DENON PMA720AE) £174 or ( YAMAHA AS500 ) £239 or ( PIONEER A50) £429.
    I like my bass and want a bit of umpth i cant see to much differance to each of these powerwise but would like you views..... am wanting to add a network player as well to match?
    next question is, is it possible to use the bx 5.1 set up with my av amp when watching films then switch to just the 2 channel amp with bx6 when i want to listen to just my music?

2. MIFF INFIDELIUS

MIFF INFIDELIUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    IMO the easiest way to deal with this is to add power amp. To achieve that, your AVR needs pre-out's ( which the yam RXV I believe does have ) and then wire the front L & R to said power amp.

Power amp's can have 2 CH, 3 CH, 5 CH and more so that you can wire your centre speaker as well LF and RF.
    Some are concerned about using an AVR as pre-amp compared to dedicated integrated amp to get the most out of the equipment but then again, adding an integrated amp to an existing AVR would be rather tricky and is down to the choice which way appeals to you and to your needs

3. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Given the components listed, IMHO, the added complexity is not going to add much. AFAIK, there are no easy ways to accomodate a separate stereo preamp into an AVR set up. There are some IAs with HT bypass, but they're above the price points you listed.

AVRs have 3 inherent drawbacks. A preamp stage that may put more emphasis on effects. Component crowding and therefore electrical noise. Weaker amplification stage.

Yams have Pure Direct modes which mitigates the first part, especially if you have a good source/external DAC. But its mitigate, not pretending its as good as a dedicated stereo amp.

Component noise, well can't do too much about it. But other than manually switching cables, switch boxes etc probably makes things worse.

The Amplification stage is the easiest to rectify. If you have £500 to spend, consider spending it here.

Yes, possibly a power amp, and I am a power amp fanboy. But if you don't already have one, I suggest something else, a powered sub. Its a power amp for low frequencies.

4. Glen B

Glen B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If its just some extra headroom you're looking for, a separate amp fed from the AVR preouts, driving the main speakers may be just the ticket. I've done just that in the past when putting my HT system to do double-duty for secondary 2-channel use. Use of the purest AVR mode, setting tone controls at flat, etc. may help to deliver the most transparent sound when listening to music.