1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question, What dvd recorder should i get?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Makaveli_Thadon, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Makaveli_Thadon

Makaveli_Thadon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have decided to take the plunge and get Sky+, at the same time I thought, why not get a DVD recorder, so, here I am asking you guys for your advice.

At the moment, I use my Xbox to play DVD's, Its not ideal, but it does the job, Its modchipped to play multi region but recently I've been having some problems with it.
    I have been buying Region 3 Dvds from CD-WOW, and its very hit and miss as to whether they end up working on the Xbox, I have been told that this is due to the unreliable dvd drive being fussy, this seems to be the case as the DVD's work on my PC.

Right, back to DVD recorders, I will be using it mainly for playing Multi-Region DVD's and backup recordings from Sky+ every now and then, I have a budget of about £250, can anybody recommend anything?

Thanks in advance.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Really need a little more info if we are to point you in the right direction:
    - Do you want to edit your archivings or merely want a machine whereby you can dump stuff to disk to avoid filling up your Sky+ HDD?
    - Do you want to be able to play your recordings on other DVD players?
    - What TV/Screen do you have, i.e. does it have component inputs?
    - Do you have a digital camcorder that you want to use with your DVD recorder?
    - Do you record many music concerts (i.e. do you want LPCM recording)?

If you want a answer directed to you then these questions need to be answered! Good budget DVD recorders are the Panasonic E55 or Pioneer 220 - but which one (if either) suits you best depends on all the issues stated above!

3. Makaveli_Thadon

Makaveli_Thadon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

thanks for getting back to me, here are the answers to your questions.

- Do you want to edit your archivings or merely want a machine whereby you can dump stuff to disk to avoid filling up your Sky+ HDD?
    dump stuff to disc

- Do you want to be able to play your recordings on other DVD players?
    it would be a nice feature, but its not that important to me, i can live without it if necessary.

- What TV/Screen do you have, i.e. does it have component inputs?
    my tv is pretty rubbish, scart and RGB only

- Do you have a digital camcorder that you want to use with your DVD recorder?
    nope

- Do you record many music concerts (i.e. do you want LPCM recording)?
    nope

thanks for your help

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Overall I think the Pioneer 220 may be the model for you. It will allow you to dump stuff to DVD-RW. And provided you use 'Video Mode' your recordings will play in most (but not all) DVD players although you will have no editting features. The machine retails for around £210.

The Panasonic E55 is also a good choice - around the same price and includes component/progressive scan (for when you upgrade your TV) but it's recordings on re-writeable media won't play on most DVD players. Accordingly I think the 220 may be the machine for you.

5. Makaveli_Thadon

Makaveli_Thadon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help Rasczak.

Yesterday I ordered the Pioneer 220 online for £215 inc delivery, thanks for your help mate.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,217
    Glad to be of assistance. Hope you enjoy your new machine.