1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question: What do I need to accompany my Pioneer DV-868AVi-S

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TIM_MJ, Jul 14, 2005.

1. TIM_MJ

TIM_MJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently acquired a Pioneer DV-868AVi-S DVD player and was under the impression that it was a home cinema system with everything built in and that I only needed to buy the surround sound speaks and sub to make up a complete home cinema system, after reading the manual it seems this is not the case. As any body got this DVD player? and have any recommendations as to what I need to complete the system?

2. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I am happy with my current Amp (no I-Link connection though) but also have this DVD Player. If I were to buy a new one I'd get a "Pioneer VSX-2014i-S" which has:

* i.Link (Advanced Resolution Digital Audio Interface)
    * 7 x 120 W DIN Continuous Output Power
    * DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES Discrete 6.1, THX Surround EX, Dolby Digital EX, DTS Neo:6 and Dolby Pro Logic IIx
    * THX Select Certification

It's also decently priced at around £400.

3. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    with the new receivers coming in october (ax4 o replace ax5 and ax2 to replace ax3/2014) you could get an AX5AIS for a bargain as it keeps falling in price...

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    Yes AX5's are going for £600 at the moment. Am tempted to pick it up to partner my 868AVi as well even though I don't need a new amp.

5. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well if you don't want your 868 Tim, I'll take it off you! :smashin:

6. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer your question literally, you need not only the surround speakers, but an AV amplifier, and a screen.

The 868 is a very good DVD player, but nowadays, many £50 players are pretty good. To actually see the benefit of its goodness, you will ideally have good quality speakers and amplifier, and a decent sized wide screen display (TV, plasma, LCD or projector) preferably with HDMI or component video input. You probably need to spend a thousand pounds at least on these other components if you are really to see/hear a significant improvement over a good cheap DVD player.

In fact, I sold my 868 and got a cheap player, even though the rest of my kit was about £6k.

If your total budget will never go over £1000, then you might as well sell the 868 on ebay and read some more forums to pick a balanced set of components within the budget. Even if you think you might grow into the 868, it's hardly worth keeping; there's high definition DVD on the horizon, and a new player would be required.

If you want to keep it, a Pioneer amp with iLink (such as the AX5) is ideal. Speakers and screen - read the appropriate forums.