Newbie Question - Switching



I noticed in a recent review of the Sony 1080 amp that it referred to lack of component video input for "switching". What is this, and why would an amp want/require "video" inputs.
Apologies if this is simple, but this is all new to me !!


Standard Member
Simple but not clear!

With an AV amp you can switch video as well as audio.
Those with a projector tend to need this feature.
If you have a Telly (or Plasma) and have no spare inputs on it the video switching can be a handy feature.

Some prefer to bypass the amp, and just connect their equipments video direct to the TV to avoid possible signal degradation.

The Sony amp in your review has been marked down for a lack of component inputs. These are handy for DVD connections to a Projector, etc.

In the UK we mostly only get the similar quality RGB signal but this isn't 100% compatible with component signal paths through the AV amp.

(Err! Hope you find your answer in that. Just had a minor case of verbal diarrhoea)


Active Member
Yep, if your display device (TV, Plasma, Projector ...) has only a limited number of video inputs (e.g. one S-Video only) than video switching can be very usefull or even a necessesity. For others it's just convenience though ... ;)

As kevenh says you would normally choose a direct connection.

Component (YUV) is usually found on projectors only and with the replies above is only necessary if you have more than one source with Component output and a display with matching input - else don't worry about the Sony not having this feature.

Just to add one more thing: you can use the Component switching facility for RGB, too, by using suitable adapter cables but in most cases it is also necessary to connect the composite as it carries the synchronization signal.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom