1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question: RGB crushing from Pace freeview box on a Toshiba widescreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AMcL, Jan 28, 2004.

1. AMcL

AMcL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a Toshiba 28ZH37P 100Hz widescreen TV and I've plugged my Pace freeview box into the TV's RGB scart. The Pace box is the original one (DVTA?) with a single scart output, and I've gone into its configuration menus to set it to 16:9 and to RGB output.

When I have the digital box set on TV the picture is ok. When I toggle the TV/DTV button though, the picture goes pretty dark.

At this point, I have to own up to being a complete novice at this game (my previous set up was a VHS and a portable - hi-tech stuff!) but here's what I think I've learned from searching around this forum and other similar ones.

When the picture is ok (and I have to explicitly switch to EXT1 to see it), the Pace box is sending out a composite signal, which I should expect to be poorer quality than an RGB one.

When it's dark (and the TV automatically switches to the digital signal and can automatically switch from widescreen to 4:3 when necessary) then this is the RGB signal, which should be the one I should use if only it were watchable!

So (said he, finally getting to the point), is this darkening of the RGB signal a fault in my Pace box, a fault in the TV or just some unfortunate hardware mismatch? And is there anything I can do about it to improve things without getting into a protracted saga with Toshiba and/or Currys? I have no problems getting a new freeview box if that's what it takes - in fact one with a video output would be no bad thing - but I'd be a bit miffed if I've just spent 550 quid on a dud TV.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.