1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question Re: Plasma Technology

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by elliot_01, Nov 10, 2004.

1. elliot_01

elliot_01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi readers,

I've been studying many of the posts on this forum, with great interest I might add (you seem like a nice helpful bunch :smashin: ), and perused what web sites I can find, but I still have some queries regarding plasma and its current state.

(I'm looking to buy a Panny 37" Viera in the near future).

1) Do plasmas suffer from anything similar to LCDs, with dead pixels? I have owned 2 LCDs (for PC use) and have been very lucky with only my first having a single half-dead pixel. Just wondered if it was also applicable to plasmas, and, if so, what's the returns/replacement versus dead pixel quantity policy?

2) This screen burn issue... I am willing to take the concensus of opinion, that careful running in, responsible use and common sense should see total prevention of it effecting a modern screen. But, is there anything under the warranty policy which covers this? For example, if parts failed or indeed just left production in a not-so-perfect state, yielding very premature screen burn, would you be eligible for a replacement, under warranty? In this case, would Panasonic (for instance) give me the benefit of the doubt, or refuse to do anything, labelling me an irresponsible users?

Is screen burn appropriately covered in the manual/s?

I've read (maybe on this forum) that someone's screen suffered screen burn, after 10 minutes of setting their new kit up, via a static settings menu... surely this can't be acceptable?

Thanks all

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    I can answer the dead pixel question. As for warranty (etc) experience on screen burn, I have no basis on which to offer any advice.

The natural state of an LCD pixel is clear/bright. So, in other words, if it fails totally it will be a bright spot. A failed green pixel will be bright green. It will be visible whenever the part of the picture in which it falls does not contain a high level of green. They can fail dark, but this is relatively very rare.

The natural state of a Plasma pixel is dark. So those that fail will be prone to fail dark. Dark pixels are visible, but are typically much less intrusive than bright ones. A failed green pixel on a Plasma will show only on otherwise bright parts of the picture. On white, for example, it will show as darker and magenta in colour.

I think that, from general experience/comment, failures on Plasma are rarer than on LCD. I have seen just one in a shop.

3. MJS

MJS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Talking of plasmas in shops, I think Dixons surpassed themselves last weekend in their Surrey Quays store in London.
    Not only was their 'top of the range' Techwood screen showing a really bad composite feed of a Janet Jackson concert but there was vertical lines throughout the picture. The screen obviously had some kind of panel addressing problem, yet it was still front-of-shop for all to see. I wonder if it was a ploy to sell warrantees? :offtopic:

I've seen dead pixels on Panasonic PW6's - sorry guys. This was at a trade event and there about 20 of them dotted around their stand. Bearing in mind they've been lugged round the world who knows how many times and left on all the time it might just be due to beaten up exhibit stock. It happened that they were all at eye level and I saw a couple of magenta stuck pixels. Any other colour may not have been so noticeable.

I spend a lot of time in around the post-production community here in London for years and they were early adopters of plasma as it obviously impresses clients. I've not yet seen any significant screen burn issues, however some of the older Sony panels can look very washed out and noisy.

Try your local railway station if you want to see screen burn - on CRT or plasma. Fenchurch St. station is a good start...

4. sl8ed

sl8ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dead pixel policies differ depending on the manufacturer. There is a European standard that quotes guidelines on dead pixels for screens, but the manufacturers don't seem to take much notice of this.

I know that Panasonic have a particualrly bad dead pixel policy, requiring more than 8 dead pixels in the same area of the screen before considering it faulty!

I speak from experience, from when I bought a plasma from Richer Sounds. I switched on to find 3 dead pixels, one right in the middle of the screen! Luckily for me RS agreed to change it, although they made it clear that it wasn't considered a fault by Panasonic. The new tv had no dead pixels :thumbsup:

My advice would be to buy off the internet and make use of the 7 days distance selling cover.

5. Twilliams

Twilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    an Interesting abservation, not directly relevent, but At our local cinema they use plasma's to show the viewing times and screen numbers ect. they have been there at least a couple of years, and i guess there turned on almost 24/7 or there abouts, however recently one of the screens has gone a funny green colour, you can still see the infomation, but its like one of the coloured guns in an old tube tv has gone, and messed up the colour balance. I guess its something similar???
    I have heard that this used to happen to early plasma's after just a couple of years but they were alot cheaper screens than the then more expensive branded versions? any thoughts? :cool: