1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newbie question re:Hitachi 32PD5300 'box'

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Nico Rosberg, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Nico Rosberg

Nico Rosberg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have just ordered a Hitachi 32PD5200 but am thinking of spending the extra £500 with John Lewis on the 32PD5300. I assume that my existing hardware (DVD,Sky & VCR) plug into the media box and then one cable runs to the panel itself?

What kind of cable is it? I'm thinking of wall mounting which of course brings up the dreaded 'hiding the cable(s)' problem!

Another option would be to use some kind of wireless transmitter/receiver to send the signals from the box to the panel but I don't know if that would degrade the picture etc plus, of course, it would mean the receiving device having to be on a small shelf next to the panel.

Thanks for your time. Nico.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    All your gear does connect to the media box.

Assuming the connections are the same as the 42PD5300, there are three cables that need to go to the panel from the media box.

1. Mains
    2. DVI cable for Video
    3. A smaller cable with a DIN socket on the end which, I believe, transmits the IR signals to the media box as the receiver is on the panel itself.

I buried mine in the wll in some truncking from B&Q which was about 2ineches wide by around 3/4 inch deep.

HTH

John

3. Nico Rosberg

Nico Rosberg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John.

I don't think trunking is an option so I was hoping that there would only be one cable from screen to box or two at the most.

The idea was that there would be two small holes in the wall, one hidden by our corner unit and the other hidden by the panel itself.

But I forgot about mains, as plugs are all moulded now it means the hole behind the corner unit will have to be a lot bigger to accmodate the plug...

We are off to John Lewis now to see the TV and the cables and alos discuss 'hiding' options with them.

Assuming you have the 42'' version what do you think of Hitatchi's efforts. I must admit a big part of my reason for going for this unit is it's the only 32'' plasma out there & looks absolutely killer with the speakers detached. It's a good unit too, of course, but I was told to go for Sony or Panny - neither of which did it for me in the looks department.

Did you use Hit's own wall bracket & if yes how was it?

Cheers - NICO

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I did use Hitachi's wall bracket. It was dead easy, you screw two 'hangers' to the back of the panel, bolt the bracket to the wall (I used 6 1omm expanding bolts) and then hang the panel on the bracket. I've got a small hole behind the panel which leads to the trunking which then comes out in a small hole at skirting board level behind my AV units.

As for the panel, I think the picture quality is excellent with Sky and XBOX and, once calibrated, stunning with DVD. I'd definately recommend it but suggest you might also want to look at the Panasonics (although I'm not sure if they do a 32")

HTH

John

5. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nico,
    I bought the 32" 5300 and am very pleased with it and agree with you that the looks of the unit is very important along with picture quality and I think it is a stunning looking unit.

6. Ringa

Ringa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Newbie to the forum, would anybody know where I could get one of the media boxes from or what other device i.e DVI scaler could power the unit up as I brought the 32PD5300 screen in a clearance, but was never told that I needed the media box to "power up" or to make it work, tried taking it back to the place where I got it, but it's been closed down so now I'm stuck with the screen !

Cheers All !!

Please help :lease: