1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question - please advise

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by hartside2, Dec 24, 2002.

1. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a lucky escape yesterday - bought a JVC Home Cinema in a box that the salesman assured me I could play my TV, digibox etc through, but when I got it home it had only a scart socket and no way of getting inputs connected. Luckily I managed to get my money back!

Since then I've been doing a bit of homework (should have done that first I suppose!) and have a budget of about £600 to get a home cinema set up. I think I'll get the Yamaha RX-V630RDS, which Richer sounds has just cut to £319. It supports 6.1 sound I believe. What speaker set up would work well with the Yamaha and what do I need to buy? All setups seem to be 5 speakers plus subwoofer, so what is does this 6.1 mean? Help!!

2. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS - my better half will only let me get a small speaker setup

(Excuse if in wrong forum as I don't know whether my question apllies to the reciever or the speakers! - that's how new I am to all this

3. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi fellow northumbrian, 6.1 means that you can use an extra rear centre speaker located between your rear effect speakers, but only a handfull of discs support this facility at the moment, its not that crucial, but later on you might want to add one if you think its essential . hope this helps

4. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi - thanks for the prompt reply.

So I would just connect a std 5 + 1 set of speakers and it wouldn't do any harm to the receiver?

5. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    no not at all

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Shiny small aluminium effect spealers go down well with wifeys e.g.Sony Pascal . Kef Eggs are good speakers but I don't think your budget will run to that.

Alternatively try the approach that worked for me - match the speakers to the wood in your room - we have a Maple fire surround so I was able to get 4 x Mercury Tannoy MX1 & an MXC - the speakers cost about £200 from Peter Tyson . Add some stylish speaker stands (another £100) & everyone is happy - top speakers that look good.

BTW you don't have to buy a sub at this stage if you can't afford one, you can always add one later if you feel you need to - they aren't always appropriate, especially if you have sensitive neighbours!!

7. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hartside2

Welcome to the forum and a very merry christmas. Nice choice of amp I am thinking of getting one to ( I would certainly try Global Hifi on Clayton St just up from RS on the other side. Paul is the manager tall dark guy very helpful - better service than RS and generally matches their price give or take a couple of quid)

They also have a good range of little speakers. I recently bought 5 Elac Cinema Sat 1's which are cracking satellite speakers. I was very impressed with them and I am sure they would better the JVC's. If you have a chat with Paul you can have a demo and if you like them get the complete set with sub for abour 350 or just buy the speakers @ 50 ea that way you can stay in budget buy a sub and when ready a single Elac.

Food for thought anyway, hope it helps.

Both myself and petrolhead are from the Newcastle area and go there frequently to test/price compare and even buy kit :)

7ThGuest

8. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the info - I'm going to drag the wife up to Newcastle Friday or early next week and I'll certainly pay a visit to Global HiFi

I can hardly wait to get set up now!

9. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Goodo

Petrolhead and myself should be up there Friday, might be ableto meet up for a chat (make sure you have your anorak on):D :D

l8r

7ThGuest