1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question: Plasmas above radiators?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Neil54, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Neil54

Neil54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to Plasma panel ownership, I have looked around these forums and seen some references to avoiding mounting above radiators. This was echoed by the installer, but is not mentioned at all in the TV's handbook.

For reasons of room geography, we have had to mount our plasma above a radiator, which is enclosed in a cabinet with an insulated top shelf.

At present the radiator is off, but with impending cold weather, does anyone actually know the risk factors involved. How does heat affect domestic Panels without cooling fans, and is the deflection of heat offered by a radiator cover sufficient to avoid the worst effects? The room is large and well ventilated.

Thanks

Neil

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Doubt it will affect your plasma much, I would say it will stop your radiator from working effectively...

Radiators typically work by cold air dropping down the back of them (which is why they are commonly undernearth windows), which is warmed as is drops to the floor and then radiated from the bottom and further heated as the air passes the front of the radiator.

Plasmas are hot and would prevent colder air dropping down the wall behind the radiator, but as you've already boxed the radiator in it won't make any difference.

StooMonster

3. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    You must be a Bl***y Southern G**!!! My heatings been on for months - its JANUARY for Gods sake. Bl***y North / South divide. @**%&$$ *)(%$£&

4. Neil54

Neil54

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL. Its only off cos its a kitchen, and the cooker, and heating boiler keep it warm! May change my opinion next week tho'.

Mind you, its much warmer here in the tropical south than the frozen north!

5. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Lancashire, the north?????
    It's a lot b$%%*Y colder up in the real north b%$#%Y southern g&t.

Chatter Chatter Chatter