1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question - Plasma Panel and what else?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by empress, Apr 28, 2005.

1. empress

empress

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This probably a really basic and stupid question but if I get a plasma panel instead of a plasma tv what other equipment do I need? Im buying everything from new so don't have any old equipment I will be using. I will want to connect up sky+ and a dvd player as well as have 5.1 speaker (at least) setup.

So is all I need a AV amp that will supplier both the panel and speakers or other stuff like a scaler (I've heard people mention this but not sure what it actually does).

I have not made any decisions on make ot model of the plasma but once I know what equipment I need I will be able to start research properly.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    sky + can be conected to the pc input (also known as vga) on a screen using an rgb to vga converter such as that provided by JS Technology(about £120 plus cables) dvd is best connected via component, dvi or hdmi depending on what you get and whether you go for a standard def or high def screen. You can route video through the amp or just sound.....some amps allow you to connect component, some allow scart, some allow you to input svido or composite and upconvert to component.
    It's a lot simpler than it sounds but you need to decide on sd or hd to start with i think.

3. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My plasma is NOT HD ready.

When will this effect me...?