1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question on writing DVDs

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Choddo, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I just got a miniDV camcorder and am busy acquiring the plethora of components needed to edit & store this onto DVD - I've seen videoCD and wasn't too impressed with the image quality so I'm hoping investing in some DVD MPEG2 action will be worth it.

My DVD player can handle "DVD-R/RW recorded in video mode"

And according to Ahead's website, Nero can produce
    DVD ISO
    DVD UDF
    DVD ISO/UDF (Bridge)
    Bootable DVD
    DVD Copy on-the-fly and via image
    DVD images

So I guess question 1 is Does an ISO or UDF cover whatever "video mode" is?

and question 2 is should I use video editing software rather than Nero to actually write the DVD-R as well? I think my firewire card is coming with Cyberlink's PowerDirector 2, but I'm sure there are better programs out there, any recommendations?

The DVD drive I'm considering is the Pioneer DVR-105. Question 3 would be... any feedback on that? It was the cheapest I could find at just over 200 quid on dabs.com

Cheers for any help
    Chods

2. peasoup

peasoup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Gotta say firstly the 105 is a great dvd-r drive, personally ive got a 103 but i use the 105 at work, cracking drive.
    Power director is a little basic but its definately a great starting point maybe in the future you could invest in a copy of Premiere 6.5 (what i use in conjunction with a prog called CCE, fast mpeg2 enc)?
    Your dvd player will read DVD videos created in Nero (Iso mode) personally i use nero as well as the video editing progs its much more powerful and will create a more compatible disc.

Heres a couple of sites with more relavent info on software and some good tutorials to.

www.Doom9.org
    www.vcdhelp.com

3. Choddo

Choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Peasoup, much appreciated. I'll get the order in for the 105 today. I tried it out on a friend's PC last night & it was great fun but he has no DVD writer. Can't wait to get started.