Newbie Question on PVR's

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Phils01, Apr 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Phils01

Phils01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All :hiya:,

I am a complete NEWBIE to this field of PVR's and the Idea of them really interests me.
    I went into CURRYS yesterday and I was looking at the HUMAX and the THOMPSON but there was not much info on them so I got hold of an assistant and asked some questions.
    The biggest question I wanted to know, and it might seem a stupid one (remember I am a newbie) is :-

Can you record from SKY TV onto a PVR ?

The man in CURRYS said that you can't do that and the only way of doing it is by having SKY+, which I'm not really interested in as its subscription based(don't have the movies or sport channels).
    I was speaking to a friend of mine who said it is possible to record SKY TV but wasn't sure of how to do it.

If it is possible could some one please explain how the connections are made physically - AND IN LAYMANS TERMS !!!!!!!!

The other question is - If I got a twin tuner PVR and could record SKY then I dont suppose I could record one channel on SKY and watch another channel on SKY at the same time ? It doesnt seem feesible to me, but needed to ask !!!!!

Could anyone recommend a good PVR for about £150 - £200, I know the Topfield looks good but its a bit too pricey for me (or should I say my wife !!!!)

Lots of thanks in advance to everyone who reads this thread and gives me advice.

All the best,

Phil Smith

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    AFAIK, other than Sky+ the only PVR that can record Sky TV is TiVo. This will however only record a single channel as you would need 2 Sky STB's to receive a second channel.
    TiVo can still be bought from www.tivoland.com

Mark.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,022
    If you want to record $ky, you could always buy a HDD-DVD recorder (which will record any AV input). Such as the Pioneer 420 520 720 920 series, and use it in conjunction with a regular $ky box.

Anything you want to keep, you can then archive off onto DVD-R, too. You can get a 420 for GBP350 or so, multi-region. The others get more expensive. The 520 adds a DVI port. The 720 has a bigger HDD, and the 920 is bigger still, plus progressive scan and HDMI (IIRC). The 920 is GBP1100 ish.

None of the HDD-only PVRs (for Freeview) will record anything external, only DTT television transmissions.