• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Newbie Question on Budget Receiver (and set up) for HDMI DVD/TV

Northernlight

Standard Member
Hi,

I have just bought a new Toshiba 37" 1080p LCD TV and a DVD player to match with upscaling and HDMI cable.

I have a good quality but now relatively old (10 years) separates hi-fi system and would like to replace with a receiver to link up srround sound speakers etc to make the most of my new TV.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations on a tight budget (£200 max) and will my existing hi-fi speakers (good quality mission floorstanders) work ok as main stereo speakers?

Also, I'm slightly confused on how to hook up the system with the HDMI lead. Would i have to get a HDMI receiver and run a second HDMI cable? Or would i use a different interconnect from the TV to the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have just bought a new Toshiba 37" 1080p LCD TV and a DVD player to match with upscaling and HDMI cable.

I have a good quality but now relatively old (10 years) separates hi-fi system and would like to replace with a receiver to link up srround sound speakers etc to make the most of my new TV.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations on a tight budget (£200 max) and will my existing hi-fi speakers (good quality mission floorstanders) work ok as main stereo speakers?

Also, I'm slightly confused on how to hook up the system with the HDMI lead. Would i have to get a HDMI receiver and run a second HDMI cable? Or would i use a different interconnect from the TV to the receiver.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Yes you can use your floorstanders and I would suggest putting your money into getting a AV amp capable of driving big speakers, so with a budget of £200 I would look at http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=106&Title=Azur+540R+(Version+2)+6.1+AV+Receiver as it is probably the best amp for the money that will drive big speakers, both musically and surround sound. The Spec states 100watts/channel ALL Channels driven (5.1), unlike say a Onkyo (still a very good av amp, but mainly for toys) which states 130watts ONE channel driven. But then again the Cambridge does have a power consumption of 650watts. So bottom line, on day one setup as 2.0 then as finances allow move to 3.0, 5.0 then 5.1.

Absolutely NO need to run a HDMI cable through a AV receiver, unless something is gained, DOLBYHD, Lack or HDMI on TV etc or you are going to have the AV amp on whenever you watch TV, can be a problem for some (late at night, babies/children in bed).

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom