Newbie question...Nikon D40 lens?

tomasman

Standard Member
Hello everyone, great forum :thumbsup:
Have question,
I bought myself few weeks ago Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens and I’m really pleased with it. But, 18-55mm just isn’t enough. I would like to learn more about wild life photography and need a bigger lens for that type of fun. I was thinking about Nikon 18-200 VR but it’s over my budget.
So question is,
Should I wait till I have enough money and get Nikon 18-200mm, or just get Nikon 55-200mm VR?
Or,
Buy something completely different?
Thanks

dazza74

Novice Member
If you fancy a pop at wildlife I'd buy the 70-300mm Nikkor VR and keep you 18-55mm personally.

PoisonJam

Well obviously the 18-200mm isn't going to give you any more range, just greater convenience and better quality across the range.

If you can't afford it though then the 55-200mm VR is an easy choice. Purely Gadgets have it for £135.

If you fancy a pop at wildlife I'd buy the 70-300mm Nikkor VR and keep you 18-55mm personally.
The 70-300mm VR is cheaper than I thought... Purely Gadgets have it for £299. Extra 100mm at the long end for an extra £165.

mikim

Have a look at the Sigma range of lens' as they are a bit cheaper, and just as good. (Although they are motor focusing, so can be a bit slower on that front).

mikim

I have a Sigma 28-300, See HERE
It's very versatile, and I find that I rarely have to change the lens these days :)

tomasman

Standard Member
Thanks everyone for replays. Looks like 70-300mm is good value for money.
I might just get a 55-200mm and see how it goes.
This might sound stupid but I’m new into photography and I don’t want to spend too much money for something I don’t know how to use :blush:
Maybe I should check eBay for second hand ones?

PoisonJam

Maybe I should check eBay for second hand ones?
I wouldn't bother, you won't get it much cheaper than on Purely Gadgets. It won't even sell for much less second hand and you'd be without a warranty then.

£135 is an absolute steal for that lens new and from a trusted website, I recommend you pick it up for that.

dazza74

Novice Member
Digital photo mag gave the best lens award this year to the Nikkor 70-300mm VR (joint winner with the canon 17-55 2.8).

hilly10

Novice Member
I bought the D40 with kit lens 18-55mm + 55-200mm as a bundle but after a while i needed to get closer to the action ie motor sport. I sold the 55-200mm and got the 70-300mm VR soon got to grips with it and would not swap it for anything now

Sabretooth

Novice Member
The 70-300mm Nikkor VR is an amazing lens on all accounts. If you can stretch to the cost of this than I would highly recommended it. It may seem dearer now when you are starting out but it will only be a matter of time before you wish you had better reach. (particularly if you are into wildlife photography). Better to make the investment now - you won't regret it. The VR on this is a godsend and you really need this at the long end if you are shooting handheld.

Yandros

Novice Member
I use the 18-200mm VR. It's a bit short for wildlife. Get the Nikon 70-300VR - no question about it. The only thing to be aware of is even 300mm is a bit short for garden birds, but you're looking at serious money and/or a sturdy tripod to better that.

Mikim is correct in that Sigma have some VERY good lenses, but I don't think there are any in the length and price range you're interested in that autofocus on the D40(x). In the Sigma line, look out for the HSM designation in the lens name (hyper sonic motor). The 70-300VR also has the HUGE advantage of vibration reduction, so you can quite happily shoot handheld.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom