1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question - IDTV or Not??

Discussion in 'TVs' started by AirCooledHeaven, Oct 28, 2005.

1. AirCooledHeaven

AirCooledHeaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm finally getting around to buying a new TV to replace my 13 year old Sony. The question is, should I buy one with a digital tuner or stick with an analogue tuner plus an external STB?

Initially I was attracted to an IDTV because it would cut out an external box, but then I realised (correct me if I'm wrong) that I can only record freeview if I have a STB plugged into my VCR, or alternatively buy a PVR.

I suppose best flexibility would be to have an IDTV plus a STB/PVR, is there any problem with doing this?

There doesn't appear to be a significant price advantage to buy an analogue TV although the choice is wider.

All comments welcomed. Thanks.

2. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am sure you will get advised both ways, but a separate box means another remote.
    And if you get a good model (Sony) with 2 scart sockets you can record digital whilst watching analogue, but to view/record 2 digital stations at once you will need 2 tuners.
    If you get a separate box it will take up another scart socket on your TV.

It would also depend on what else is due to be replaced, VCR!

Do you have a spare scart at the mo? How many scarts will you need????

Nigel

3. AirCooledHeaven

AirCooledHeaven
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I currently have a STB, DVD player and VCR. The STB takes up one scart on my old TV and the VCR takes up the other. My DVD plugs into the VCR. Currently I can't record from the STB as it only has one scart (old pace DVTB).

I need the capability to record one freeview channel onto video while watching another freeview channel. I also need to play my regular DVDs and videos.

I want the fewest number of boxes.

I will probably buy a combi DVD/VCR to get rid of one box but I'm still unsure how to record one freeview channel while watching another.

If I understand things correctly, even if I buy a IDTV I'll still need a STB to record freeview onto video??

Hope this clarifies my needs. Thanks

4. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Quote "If I understand things correctly, even if I buy a IDTV I'll still need a STB to record freeview onto video??"
    Only if watching freeview at the time.

Quote "Currently I can't record from the STB as it only has one scart (old pace DVTB)."
    If you have 2 scarts on your VCR you could let the freeview pass through your VCR and be able to record it.

Nigel