1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question: How do I use these?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by curious_george, Apr 18, 2005.

1. curious_george

curious_george
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My problem is that I am inheriting:
    - two pairs of Bose 301 Series II speakers - yes, the old ones in the wooden Cabinet
    - A Krell KSA-200 amp (2-channel)
    - matching Krell Pre-amp
    - Denon Universal CD Player

I have thought through the whole thing, and the ideal setup seems to be:

1) Home Theatre system
    Denon 2805 or Onkyo 702 as receiver, Bose 301 as front speakers, Bose 301 as surround speakers, then to buy a centre speaker and subwoofer. Question is what centre speakers or subwoofers will fit with this combination? Should I dump the Bose speakers and get a matching HT set at a reasonable price? Do I shoot for another two rear surround speakers to get 7.1?

2) Audio System
    Connected to A/B speaker output for the Denon so I can share the player, but attaching both the Krell pre-amp and KSA-200 to a much higher grade pair of speakers. Will use this system for music only

Any comments, words of advice please?

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would dump the Bose (they hold there value quite well) on ebay and but some nice new ones. There is a special price on Cantons speakers at the moment in the speaker power buys.:D

Do you mean universal DVD player not CD player?

If the denon is a cd player you could wire it up to the Krell and then use a switch box (puts on flameproof suit) for the speakers between the AV amp and the Krell.

3. curious_george

curious_george
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right it's a CD player! It's pretty old, but supposedly in perfect condition