Newbie Question! DVD/TV Connection?

D

Dan110

Hi all,

I have always connected my TV and Dvd players in the past using scart to scart connections but have heard that a better picture can be achieved connecting the 2 with RGB/Svideo cables? Can anybody tell me the best way of connecting a Tosh 42WT29 RPTV and a pioneer dv 717 dvd player so that I can axhieve the best possible picture and what cables I will need to buy to do this?

Thanks

Dan

If you use fully wired SCARt cables, then you were probably using RGB. With some TVs there is a connection called "component" which is the format DVDs are encoded in, so it will give you the best picture. If your DVD player has "component out" then connect it to the TV this way:)

Your TV accepts a component video signal, but the 717 doesn't output it.

So your best bet is RGB over SCART into AV1 (2 & 3 don't support RGB on that TV)

Make sure you use high quality SCART cables (£15 Hitachi OFC jobbies from Argos are good enough, IXOS are better as a screen that size will really show up any inteference)

Then make sure your DVD player is set to output in RGB in the video menu (My Pioneer 525 and 454 were not by default)

Ignore any talk of s-video. It's inferior to RGB and component.

C

Choddo,

Many thanks for the reply, please forgive my ignorance but i'm still a little unsure of what I need to do. Firstly, I need to go to my local hi fi shop and ask for some ixos scart cables, is that what I should ask for or should I ask for IXOS RGB scart cables? (sorry I'm really new to all this HC stuff!) Then I need to go into the video menu on the DVD player and set the output to RGB and then I should be up and running?

Thanks again,

Dan

Dan,

Check out the IXOS cables on this website Look at the Ixos 141 and 126s. The 141s hang straight and are flat not round (unlike conventional SCART cables).

Thanks RCT,

Which should I go for the IXOS or the QED? Which are better in your opinion? Also if I was to go for the QED, do I purchase the Av2110 or the AV4110 RGB version?

Thanks

Dan

Within this price range, I'd say they're roughly the same. I personally have the IXOS 141.

It's debatable whether spending more money than this is really worth it at all.

Both the IXOS 126 and 141 come highly recommended :)

Yeah, those are all fully wired SCARTs which will carry RGB - most SCARTS are wired to do this, but the quality can vary a lot. Ixos & QED are generally accepted as being very good. I certainly can't afford them ;)

It's generally only games consoles that ship with composite-only cables. "composite" is a lower quality method of transmitting picture information using fewer wires which combines the colour information causing interference. You'll usually notice this as dot crawl around the edges of brightly coloured objects and bleeding of colours, particularly reds.

So yes, check the picture/video menu of your player and making sure it is outputting RGB

My 454 has the option "Video Output" then a submenu listing each connector. There are 2 options, SCART (called AV) and s-video.

As I only use the SCART socket, under AV, I can choose

video (aka composite)
s-video
RGB

for the picture format to send through the SCART connector. You should find something similar on your 717, make sure RGB is selected.

If it wasn't, that makes a bigger difference in quality picture than a better cable.

Then, I really need help, my DVD offers svideo (not through the scart or Scart with composite (no RGB).

Should I get the ixos/qed svide to Scart for my Toshiba 50wt?

Or will that not be better than quality
Scart to Scart composite?

svid to SCART will be your best option. You got a Sony DAV-S300 by any chance?

Chods

Choddo,

Just checked the menu on my dvd player and it is really simple to change the output to RGB. Just need to decide which scart to go with now the QED or the IXOS. I'll see which ones they have at my local richer sounds tomorrow and decide then.

Thanks again mate,

Dan

I got worse than the Sony == Lasonic DVD-2000.

Looking at the dvd-recorders post xmas"

Originally posted by Dan110
Choddo,

Just checked the menu on my dvd player and it is really simple to change the output to RGB. Just need to decide which scart to go with now the QED or the IXOS. I'll see which ones they have at my local richer sounds tomorrow and decide then.

Thanks again mate,

Dan

Yer welcome. And don't forget Argos, that £15 Hitachi OFC jobbie is pretty decent if Richer Sounds have nothing suitable.

Dan I have a similar set up to you (see sig.)

I have mine connected via an IXOS 126 (RGB SCART) and it DOES make a difference from your 'average SCART'.

Dont even consider using the S-video option.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom