1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question - Denon AVR3300

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jinky32, Oct 17, 2004.

1. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Afternoon all.
    Sorry to have to bring this basic question to you, but i've searched the web and these forums and I am just stumped.

My problem is that i can't get my tv to play through the amp. I have a ps2 hooked up through which i can see and hear both games and dvds. I can also hear the radio through the speakers.

I have a scart to 6 rca cable running from my tv into the amp. The audio out leads run into the tv/dbs in on the amp. I get a picture fine, but no sound. I am not really sure if the problem is because of the way i have connected the two, or due to some setting on the amp that i haven't got right. I have only 2 front speakers.

Can anybody tell me which plugs should go where and what settings I should have set on the denon?

Also, if anyone can shed any light on the amazingly complicated remote control (the sytstem setup button just does nothing) I would be eternally grateful!

Many thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Perhaps the scart socket on the TV accepts inbound signals only and not outgoing. Many televisions have a pair of "audio out" sockets on them which are for connection to an amp

3. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi ian J thanks for coming back to me. my tv does have a video in and audio in socket (along with an s-vhs socket). i'll try that. the audio in rca plugs are currently reduntant (both left and right), but as there's only one audio in socket on the tv it seems a bit weird.

do the audio in plugs need to be in the back of the denon? sorry for asking, i know this must all be pretty basic stuff, but it's all new to me.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you are referring to the pair of audio terminals plus the video terminal that are normally on the front of the TV they are the wrong thing as they are inputs and not outputs..

I am referring to a pair of audio outputs that are normally on the back of the TV along with the scart sockets when fitted. These should be connected to a spare audio input (say TV) on the Denon.

What is the model of TV that you have ?

5. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi. the tv is hitachi c2114R. the only socket on the back is one scart socket and a socket for the aerial.

from the one scart socket i am running a scart to 6 rca lead. i've tried the audio ins and outs in all manner of sockets (including what i assume to be the correct tv/dbs socket) but no sound from the speakers.

i'm getting sky plus in a couple of days so i'm hoping that i can hook up the denon to that using an otical lead and get my tv' sound. do you think?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    When you get your Sky plus you can connect it directly to the Denon via an optical lead and will definately hear the sound in all it's glory.

Most programming is now in widescreen so stick all of the spare pennies in a jar to save up for a widescreen TV and make sure that it has at least three scart sockets so you don't have any more connection problems.

7. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    praise be!

thanks for your patience and help. :thumbsup: