1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question - component video to my amp?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bjp1979, Oct 3, 2004.

1. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm a newcomer to home cinema.

I have a Yamaha HTR-5550RDS receiver and a Toshiba 330E dvd player.

I currently have the dvd player linked up through RGB scart to my Sony Wega TV. (theres only scarts and s-video connections on my Sony tv)

However, I noticed that on my receiver, its possible to connect visual equipment through component video...

I know that component video offers an improvement over RGB scart - but how exactly do I set the component video on my amp and get the component picture on my TV?

There's nothing mentioned in the maunual about setting this up - is it worth doing?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ben

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Welcome to the confusing world of AV :thumbsup:

If your TV does not have component inputs then you can't use the component outputs from your DVD player either direct or via the receiver. There are very few CRT TV's that can accept component, it is normally an input for LCD, Plasma or a PJ. But on the odd occassion that a CRT TV can it has been known for the scart socket to accept the component signal (Lowe TV's I think and perhaps some others).

TBH the difference in PQ between RGB & Component is very small unless the component is progressive so I would not worry about it. When your AV budget starts to get bigger than your mortgage then you will want to know all about the different connection types and their pros & cons. Until then I suggest you stay ignarent of them and save yourself a not too small fortune. Be happy with what you have and avoid the dreaded upgrade bug for as long as possible. This forum should come with a government wealth warning :devil:

Mark.

3. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hi,

You would only get a picture improvment if you had component inputs on your tv.

Otherwise you have to run component leads from the dvd player to the amp then after the amp convert the signal back to rgb to feed into the tv (don't even know how you could do that).

Personally I would stick with how you have it now. You won't get any picture improvement

hope this helps :)

Must learn to type faster :blush:

4. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - that's put that little curiousity to bed ;-)

I picked up the receiver from Richer Sounds on eBay last month for £160 inc postage - its an older model, but do you think I got a good price?

I'm starting to wish I'd spent a few hundred more, and gone for a more up to date model now, like an NAD T753 AV Receiver or a Marantz SR5400 OSE. But alas, I'm still with the oldies, in my bedroom - so maybe hold back until the imminent bachelor pad move happens?

I'm afer a piece of kit that will double up as a quality Hifi amplifier, as well as a good AV amp. The choice seems to be a little overwhelming at times though... And I suspect I have already contracted the "upgrade bug"... Because now, the novelty of a new addition of a component wears off after 7 days, and I walk out the the newsagent with the latest copy of What Hifi... Its a game of frustration I tell you!

Any comments on how to improve my humble setup would be appreciated:

Toshiba 330E dvd player, Protech gold scart RGB to Sony Wega 28" tv (cant remember the model, but its the bog standard 50 hz flatscreen that's been around for a few years now) connected with QED Qunex OT toshlink to my AV Amp for audio.

CD player Cambridge 540 Azur, with QED Qunex 3 interconnect.

Turntable - Bush Mtt2 (oh dear!)

Yamaha HTR 5550 AV receiver.

Speakers: Front - Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 (biwired), Wharfedale Pacific Evolution Centre speaker.

Rears: I'm still using the satellite speakers from my old Videologic Digitheatre DTS unfortunately - any suggestions for upgrades? Stick with Wharefedales - Wharfedale DFS-18s?

Subwoofer: KEF2500, connected with QED P-SW Sub Interconnect.

All wired with: QED original speaker wire (centre speaker has QED original dedicated biwire, and front L&R speakers have two lots of the single wire for the biwire connection - but I'm wiring two lots of + and - into only one set of teminals on my amp)

Any good? I think I need some new rear speakers desperately! Also, I'm into my house music, and need to upgrade to a decent turntable to give me that natural sound - was thinking of a Project Debut III with the phono amp built in? Or is it worth shelling out more of a higher spec Project, or a Rega? (I always regret not spending more!)

Thanks!

5. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Sounds like you're in the same boat as me, still at home with the folks. More money for the av I say :D

I can't really advise on the amp. However the Marantz 5400ose does look good and you can get it in black for only £269 from peter tyson (see forum sponsor link)

I would suggest you try a digital coax lead instead of the optical. I noticed quite a difference when I switched. Have a look in the forum power buys, I've just ordered 1 from Mark and will see how it goes.

I do think you should change the rear speakers, interestingly you can get the Wharfedale dfs-18's here for £79.99 in white or £99.99 in black, these should match the rest of your speakers well

Question: How do you find the evo centre with the 8.3's? I've tried a few different centre's with mine and am about to try some Acoustic energy evo's on the front 3 instead, but if i'm not happy with them I could be looking to get a better match to my 8.3's and selling the evo's on

6. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate

I'm quite happy with the Evo Cente speaker - I got it as a manager's special in black for £100 from my local Superfi store in Salford. Although it doesn't look ideal on top of a silver Sony tv and with the Maple 8.3 floorstanders (bit of an uncoordinated mish mash) - it does the dialogue job well enough - I think I'll be sticking with that for a little while.

I upgraded to the KEF 2500 sub a couple of weeks ago, and it seems to be a bit of a beast in my bedroom.

I'll take your advice on going for the digital coax in favour of the Qunex OT toshlink I'm currectly using... Hopefully that will make a difference.

Yeah, I noticed that price at Hifibitz, might go for that - but what do I do for wall mounting brackets for those shape speakers?

Thanks

Ben

7. Benrudd1

Benrudd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    if the dfs-18's are the same as my 21's and they should be then they are flat on the back with 2 plates that hook onto screw heads, so you just put 2 screws into the wall and then hook them on, they come with 4 rubber buffers which stick to the back.

You just have to get the screws wound into the right point so that the buffers press against the wall and stop the speaker from moving

By the way your speaker cable sounds fine. I had the qed original before I upgraded to silver anniversary and I haven't noticed a big difference. Also my mains are biwired the same as yours 2 into 1 at the amp end, this is the standard way of doing it ( or so I believe :) ).

8. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna order those surrounds from Hifibitz. I'd really prefer them in black, as the white is a bit of a crap colour... But at the same time, I'm not prepared to pay £20 more just to have them in black (which is usually colour you pay considerably less for on front speakers, behind nice wood finishes).

I was wondering what the silver anniversary would be like - not sure I would notice the difference on my intermediate quality amp though anyway?

Also, a dvd player upgrade might be on the cards... I think the Toshiba 330E is fanastic quality - but I'm wondering about getting one of those Pioneers that will play SACD and DVD Audio.

9. grammatoncleric

grammatoncleric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also new to the AV scene, and just thought I'd jump in on this link, sorry..

I have just bought a marantz 5400 from petertyson.co.uk and got it for £199 so an absolute steal at that price. Immaculate sounding Hifi..but I have a problem....

I have wired up my Pioneer DVD 575 to the Marantz using a digital coax, AND 5 phono's (someone please advise me whether I require this for 5.1 SACD playback) as well as video out via VideoS cable. Before I bought the Coax I had just the phono outs, into the amp and phono out of the amp into a Scart at the back of the TV (Sony Wega).
    I got the on screen display and a virtual surround with dialogue etc. So getting the Coax's / Svideo and adjusting the amp to point to the Coax socket was all I needed to do right ?? I now have No onscreen display, and the sound I am getting with 24 Series 3 is just the 'ambient' soundtrack. The Dialogue has dissapeared when set to Dolby DTS. Only when I adjust the setting to stereo or virtual will the dialogue come through, but this isn't right shirley ;)

Please Help!! I think I know why the Onscreen display isn't on (SVIDEO cable methinks won't allow OSD) but the dialogue thing is daft! Have I got too many connections going on ?

I bought a Nikkai 'double' scart lead from Maplins which allows 2 sets of phono's into 1 scart socket which is a nice touch. I wanted it to feed the DVD player out to the TV direct (allowing the wife to watch Delia DVD's without feckin with the amp) and allow phono outs from the amp to the TV via same Scart socket. maybe this is the problem....

Nice soundtrack to 24 though shame I can't lip read..

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Welcome one and all have a search as most issues have been covered before as for the Marantz issue that is an odd one guess its down to the setup is centre speaker connected? and enabled in set up?

11. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, just to go back to my thread for a minute ;-)

I have ordered the Wharfedale Pacific DFS 18's from HiFi BitZ and I hope they're gonna be good - anyone have them?

12. grammatoncleric

grammatoncleric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for the butt in earlier. Yes It's all sorted now. Centre wasn't connected properly.

Thanks

13. grammatoncleric

grammatoncleric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry BJP1979, forgot to mention. I have the Pioneer DVD player that you'r thinking about. 575 ? It's fantastic value for money. I had a Sony DAVs300 (all yer eggs in one basket thing) and this is far better than that. I looked at the Toshiba 340 too but paying the extra 30-40 quid is a no brainer.
    Image is superb, and although I havent got any SACD's yet, the CD playback is very reasonable indeed through the Coax. Made the Sony look and sound completely hopeless. Recommended..

Right I'll toddle off and leave you to it now...

14. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have the Wharfedale evo DFS 18s and they are very good, even if I did pay full price :mad:

15. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Brian - and sorry about having to pay full price... Believe me, its happenned to me on numerous occasions with stuff I have bought.

Well... They're "awaiting stock" at HiFi Bitz - I'm hoping the wait is not too long.

16. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate.

Yeah, the Pioneer 575 is the one I'm looking at. I won't be using it for CD's though, as I already have a pretty decent Cambridge Azur 540 cd player, but SACD is something I'd like to toy with for sure.

I know the Sony setup you're talking about - my mate has the same thing - although it looks good in a front room, its nothing to write home about.