1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie question - can CRT replace TV ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KeithD, Jul 19, 2003.

1. KeithD

KeithD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I've been thinking about replacing my TV with a Projector. My fiancee has really dodgy eyesight (actually registered blind) so I wanted to have as big an image as possible. My original budget for PJ + Screen was about £3.5K. As such I demo'd both a Sharp DLP (I forget the model) and the Sony HS10 LCD. I'm completey disappointed with the washed out images, particularly with the HS10. The demo conditions were a bit of a joke but nonetheless it didn't seem at all capable of replacing a TV. Anway, I'll stop wittering and ask the all important question .. can a sub £5K CRT projector give us images close to approaching a large CRT TV or am I just living in a dream world. I've not found anywhere in Edinburgh UK that I can easily demo CRT PJs (apart from pubs) but I would make a monumental effort to find somewhere if I had at least a hope. Lighting in the room is normally reduced due to Sarah's eye condition but is nowhere near 'pitch black'.

Thanks for any help you guys can give,
    Keith

2. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Keith,

With my particular setup, the CRT PJ will never replace my IDTV, but that's a combination of convenience and lack of freedom (living in a friends parent's flat, don't think they're too keen on me blacking out the living room and hanging PJ off the ceiling etc :D)

Nothing will beat a good CRT setup in a light controlled environment, however, if this is not possible, a "brighter" LCD or DLP projector may be the answer, you do say that the lighting is no-where near pitch black.

When you say capable of replacing a TV, what exactly do you mean? Quality of picture? or turn on and use convenience? or something else?

If it's the washed out quality of the images whilst viewing in a room with light coming in, there's not much that can be done to avoid this, other than to install a RPTV, or at even more expense, a rear projector and screen setup.

Hope this helps a bit,

Sean.

3. KeithD

KeithD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Sean,
    I've been doing a bit more research this evening and I now appreciate that we're probably going to have to think of other solutions for this inc. 60" Plasma for TV and PJ for movies ... of course... whether or not we can afford it is a different matter :-(

Keith

4. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    How about a RPTV? Much cheaper than a plasma. Not sure about PQ as i've not seen an RPTV for years now, i can't imagine them looking much worse than a plasma. Obviously they are quite bulky beasts however. You might even have enough money left over for a cheap CRT projector with screen? Seems a bit overkill to have a 60" plasma for just TV and a seperate PJ for movies. Then again, i don't know how much you earn, i'd have a 60" plasma in my toilet if i could afford it!

Sean

5. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Keith,

If it's any help I would be happy to invite you round to see my Barco CRT setup as I live in Edinburgh. I think you will be hard pushed to see a CRT being demo'd in town. I know because I looked hard for someone to show me a couple of years ago.

I mostly play DVDs through it but I also have sky and PS2 hooked up to it. It does really need a pretty dark room to get the best effect. I would also be happy to tell you how much I have spent to get everything the way I wanted it if you come round.

Depending on how much you already have in the way of equipment you are not far out at 5K, but maybe a little bit short.

Cheers,

6. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Beat me to it Gavin - I was going to offer but i'm still not 100% about my PQ, seem to be making increases in picture quality virtually every fortnight with this damn HTPC + CRT setup!

Sean

7. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sean,

You are also welcome to come round and see my setup if you want. I didn't know there were so many of us here in Edinburgh.

I'm watching Dog Soldiers at the moment. Roland supplied my stuff and was here on friday installing my fixed screen. Having just had him set everything up again for the new screen you would probably be seeing it at it's best. I have a 708 data with new tubes and a 7 1/2 foot wide fixed screen.

cheers,

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Wow, and i thought i had it made with my 92" diagonal screen. You must have a big pad to take that monster! Whereabouts are you in Edinburgh? I'm just near Tollcross. What are you driving the CRT with? Would be to interesting what stuff people have, and how it performs, as my only friend who is into home cinema lives about 400 miles away and hasn't upgraded since we both bought our first systems about 4 years ago.

9. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sean,

I am over at Corstorphine, round the corner from PC world. My PJ is being fed by an Iscan line doubler, which in turn is being fed by everytthing else. Sony 725 DVD player with component out, Playstation 2, Tivo, sky, PC.

I have just finished an extension and have been lucky enough to custom build the room it all goes in. Remote controlled lighting, dark purple paintwork, (Believe me it works!!), and blackout curtains.

As I mentioned, you are wlecome to come round one evening and have a look and a chat. Like you I only know one other guy who has a cinema setup here in Edinburgh.

Cheers,

10. kunwho

kunwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had my Barco installed by Roland in June. I don't live near Edinburgh but my CRT replaces my TV.

I have 7ft Vutec widescreen, Meridian 568 with 5.1 DSP speakers, Shuttle HTPC, and SKY+. My room measures 3.5m x 6m with blackout curtains on both end of room. The room is not all that dark during the day but the picture is watchable. SKY+ is linked to my processor by S-video and an optical TOS. There no way I'm going back to a 32" TV anymore because I'm happy with the complete setup.