1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Newbie' Question - amp, tuner, cd

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RichardB, Sep 28, 2004.

1. RichardB

RichardB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, my first post so please be gentle :hiya: ! I'm interested in upgrading from my 9 year old all-in-one Sony hi-fi to separates, comprising amplifier, tuner and CD player (oh, and speakers).

I don't want to go overboard cost-wise though, so I'm looking nearer the budget end of the market. I've recently swooped for an iRiver mp3 player, so my main requirement for the amp is to have optical in and out (hear that, iPod fans?!!). Beyond that, I'm not too fussed and to be honest don't know what to look for beyond power output.

If I can get an amp with built-in tuner then that would be ideal. I'd prefer to see how I get on without the CD player (given the mp3 factor) and then perhaps decide to get a CD player at a later date.

So I guess I'm just looking for advice at this stage. Can anyone recommend particular brands, models or shops to go to for what I want? Anything I should steer clear of? Is what I suggest the right way to go at all?!

Thanks for any help you can offer
    Richard.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :hiya: and welcome to the forums.

OK we need to know:
    1/ how much roughly you want to spend.
    2/if this is just for an amp, speakers, speaker cable and interconnects.
    3/ Do you want a stereo amp or a A/V (home cinema) amp?
    4/ Do you want floor standing or stand mounting speakers? Colour preferences of speakers.

:thumbsup:

3. RichardB

RichardB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your reply. Answers as follows:

1. not really sure what I could get for my money. Say, up to £200 for amp if it has tuner built in. Same again for speakers - any less would obvisouly be nice though!
    2. initially, yes. Forget about the CD part for now really. I do want a radio though so that's the only other essential.
    3. Oh, good point - never really thought about that! A/V would be good, though if its a significant extra cost I'd just got for stereo (ie. over £200).
    4. Floor standing would be my preference, unless you'd specifically recommend otherwise.