Newbie question about Sky Installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by psychopomp1, Jan 18, 2008.

1. psychopomp1

psychopomp1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +413
    Hi

I've never had Sky before so please forgive me if this sounds a dumb question. I'm considering getting Sky HD installed and i believe i will require a BT line in order to get it. I do have a BT line, but my BT socket is in the hallway about 5 metres away from the telly, so can i just use an extension lead to connect to the Sky box? Or does the sky engineer insist that the socket be located close to the box? And also, once Sky has been installed, do i have to leave my telephone line connected to the sky box or can i leave it unplugged? I won't be using Sky's interactive services which require the use of the telephone line.

Thanks in advance.

2. Kevosull

Kevosull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It does not need to be an actual BT connection box, I'm on Virgin 'phone for example, but the engineer will insist on connecting to the 'phone point, be it an extension lead or the actual box, as part of the installation entails a 'dial-home' (back to Sky) check.

If you have multi-room, the box must stay connected as part of the contract, but for other subscriptions, I think you can take it out once the installation is done. Sometimes, Sky check to see if your box is still connected, and you might get a request through the post asking you to re-connect it.

From what I've read, they don't really enforce the connection, as severely as they do if you have the multi-room package.

hth,

Kev

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    He will install your box with an extension lead, have one handy if I were you. You will of couse leave it connected permanently to the phone won't you!!!! It's in your contract. If you were to disconnect it, sky might check, and they might send you a letter reminding you to reconnect it. You then connect it, force a callback (ask again here if that is needed) and carry on as you were. In short, it's up to you, there are ways around it.

4. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    Forced callbacks dial a different number than "Sky requested" callbacks so that trick may not always work (particularly if done frequently or they are suspicious the box is being used outside the UK) when they are asking for connection of phone line.

5. fernandez

fernandez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    As long as it's not a Multiroom installation, I believe that after the initial callback has been made you can opt out of the permanent phone connection for a once only fee of £25

6. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    For the £25 no phone option (for single room standard or Sky+) it does not even need to make the initial callback.

7. GMT

GMT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    sky now offer the no phone line option for HD.
    however if you want multiroom, obviously you cant go with this and have to have the phoneline.