Newbie question about setting up a new LCD TV

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by darrenj1471, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. darrenj1471

darrenj1471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Firstly apologies as this kind of thread has probably been posted a thousand times but a search of forum didnt really help me.

I am totally new to HDTV's. Last night I purchased an LG 37LG3000 model TV.

The manual mentions almost nothing about set up so I literally just put stand together, turned on TV and let it do an autotune.

The picture for regular TV is pretty awful, this may be aerial related but I plugged my freeview box (thought tv had built in freeview but cannot work how where) via a scart lead and all channel are unwatchable, they are like intermittent digital signals and stutter and flicker etc

The WORST problem I have is DVD playback. Again I have used a Scart cable to connect our DVD player (which is rather dated) to my TV hoping to at least see a good picture with a DVD.
    Its AWFUL, the opening credits and literally a blur like double vision or being really drunk. Everyone has 4 eyes and the picture is generally rubbish.

PLEASE HELP, Ive seen notes from people saying 'Oh yeah thats normal as its not a HD broadcast/dvd' but in no way can this be considered normal. I cannot beleive you can buy a new TV and have to throw away all my DVD's because they are unwatchable.

Have I missed some obvious set up steps ?
    Am I used totally the wrong type of connections ?
    Is my TV faulty and I should take it back?

Please help, thanks in advance

2. simon11

simon11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If it's that bad I would take it back.
    You should get a reasonable picture from switch on.

3. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Some basic pointers here

4. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bought the same set....put the same question on here....problem solved with pen paper and loads of patience:)

First of all make sure on the menu that the set is not set for " shop" settings

Play with the settings for brightness , backlight ,colour etc and write down the best settings as you see them.....then after a couple of days have another go that way you can always revert to the ones you wrote down.

Just as a guide here are what mine are set at

press menu on your remote, select picture and ok
    By the way the set does have inbuilt freeview and if you have a decent aerial it should be easy to auto tune via the menu.
    Backlight 80
    contrast 90
    Brightness 50
    sharpness 70
    colour 60
    tint 0

( this by the way is the " sport " setting)

Your scart connection should be ok just twiddle with the settings
    im well pleased with the picture on mine but it did take a lot of fiddling to get it to my taste.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  5. darrenj1471

darrenj1471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok firstly , thanks, I will try fiddling with these later tonight

BUT, last night I bought a fancy new Scart cable, tried it and NO improvment. Then I swapped from AV1 to AV2 and VOILA, good picture.

Why does AV1 look like drunken double vision ? Is Av1 for something else or is it broken ?

Second problem, I connected to outside aerial socket, did an auto tune and 4 normal channels and 11 digital channels. All 4 normal are horrible picture , bad ghosting and poor reception, worse still all 11 Digital channels are simply Black screens with no images???

Im really not having much luck

6. ows90

ows90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Sounds like the player is set to output S-Video over SCART, as usually only AV2 can accept S-Video. (It's not clear in LG's poor manuals.)

However, RGB over SCART should give an even better picture, but it can usually only be accepted through AV1. So, connect it back to AV1, and access the setup menu of the DVD player to change the video output to RGB. (While you're there, check that the picture aspect is set to 16:9 widescreen.)

7. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The poor analogue picture suggests that you have aerial problems ( not the fault of the set) Once on a good signal the auto tune is a doddle to use.

8. darrenj1471

darrenj1471

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou OWS, this is exactly the sort of info Im looking for. I will attempt to access the DVD Player settings tonight.
    I theory then by what you say, once DVD player is outputting RGB and I plug back into AV1 I should see improvement from s-video AV2 ?

(what happens when I get my virgin box AND DVD player....I would presume they both will require RGB scart connection for best picture ...does this mean I have to mess about changing cables each time as only 1 scart is RGB?? ....or should I change DVD back to s-vid and use AV2...is there much difference in pic quality)

Regarding my poor aerial reception, its an outside aerial socket point and its finding the 11 freeview channels yet displaying them as black blank screen?? ...surely if it finds them it should display them ?

9. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just did a quick check on mine, selected set up , auto tuning and within 2 minutes have found 66 digital channels

10. Bob Staines

Bob Staines
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On the same set up menu if you scroll down is a diagnostics section, you can see what signal strength you are getting. your telly might be finding the stations but they may be too weak to see.