1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie Question about Playlists and Sony Recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by uppal, Oct 13, 2004.

1. uppal

uppal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering buying the Sony RDR-HX900 but have read a lot of people complaining that the lack of playlist on this recorder rules it out for them.

What is the advantage of playlists? I want to get the Sony as its seems to produce the most compatible DVDs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own SONY 900.
    With Playlist you can choose parts of different recordings in random order to be recorded in such order. Without changing the original recording.
    Useful if you want to edit a lot. In case of removing ads A-B eraing in enough.

3. eednig

eednig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EN,

How easy / accurate is it to remove the ads using the Sony 900? Do you see the video while you set points A and B?

4. uppal

uppal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info!

As you own the 900..are you happy with it? Would you recommend it?
    Can you tell me the good/bad points with it.

Many Thanks!

5. grumpy42

grumpy42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not just the lack of playlist editting that is a problem. It's the lack of ANY editting options other than "A-B erase". If you recorder a 3 or 4 hour movie, there is no way to burn it to dvd in SP mode. If you record an 8 hour chunk of television (i.e. a marathon), there is NO way to break up the recording and burn it to multiple DVDs.

Also, the European version only has 8 event timers, which is just stupid for a recorder that has a 160GB hard drive.

As for producing the most "compatible DVDs" - If you get a recorder with DVD-R/W recording then that is all you really need. DVD-R/Ws are by far the most compatible format.

In short I would not recommend this recorder - it is just a crippled version of the Japanese HX90.

I have been doing quite a bit of research trying to decide which recorder to buy. So far the JVC DR-MH30S is the front runner (followed by the Pioneer DVR-520H). It has HDD playlist editting and DVD-R/W support. I am aware of the firmware problems that the European version has, but I hope that they are ironed out by time it reaches the North American market.

6. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uppal,
    Grumpy said the bad points.
    Good points are exelent picture, build quality, menus, and nice looking.
    So, as far I dont need on this machine accurate editing I am fine with it.
    I can recomend, because I dont know if it is suitable for you.

7. grumpy42

grumpy42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True. The Sony probably is at the top as far as image quality goes - especially considering it uses 2 pass encoding when dubbing from the HDD to the DVD. However, I still do not think that marginal increase in image quality outweighs the limited editting capabilities.

8. eednig

eednig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EN,

Sorry for asking the question again but I am between XS32 and the Sony. I do not need a lot of editing features however it must be able to remove ads easily and accurately. How easy / accurate is it to remove the ads using the Sony 900? Do you see the video while you set points A and B? What i mean by accurate will I be able to remove the start and end of a commercial?

9. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eednig,
    You see video when editing A-B. I will try and tell you if it is a frame accurate A-B editing.

10. uppal

uppal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EN and Grumpy

Thanks for the advice. I am still confused.

Actually, my first choice was the Pioneer 520 but I read a review recently and it said it wont recognise Dual-Layer recorded DVD+RW dvds.
    This is one of the most important factors for me as I have lots of these.

Does anyone here know if the Toshiba XS32 plays DL +RW dvds? The XS32 has great features but everyone says it is complicated to use.

Im shocked to read the Sony cant record a 3 hour movie to DVD? Surely, you can change the quality setting so that it can fit onto a DVD?

11. TonyK

TonyK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    EN,
    good info. I am considering the Sony as well. I had an XS32 for a week or so. Kept crashing, failing to play CDs... I guess this was a batch problem but what I thought was worse was the build quality. I currently have a Sony DVPNS900 and this makes the Toshiba seem like a childs toy in terms of build. There is, however one thing I am worried about on the Sony and that is fan noise. I know that the noise is variable from machine to machine but could you give some kind of indication how loud yours is in a domestic environment.
    Thanks for any info,
    TonyK.

12. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    uppal

Can't tell you if Tosh will play DL disks. A colleague has just bought some blanks and will burn one on his PC in the next few days for us to test (he has a Panny STB).

I can tell you it is not complicated to use. I have had mine a couple of months and I found it easy to get to grips with. It is flexible, intuitive, everything I've thought "It should do that" I've been able to make it do with just a couple of button presses.

My only complaint is the finished disks are not as compatible as I would have liked. I have not been able to determine conclusively whether the couple of minor problems I have had were media related or due to the machine. I am currently using Datawrite Grey 8x and have not had any complaints from the borrowers or from the other DVD players in the house with them, so maybe the early problems were the Samsung DVD-R's that RS gave me when I bought the machine.

13. uppal

uppal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neville Street

Many Thanks for that. You mentioned your mate has a Panasonic. Which model is that? Can you also please find out if it plays Dual-Layer dvds?

All I want it a decent recorder that has HDD and plays DL dvds !

I thought it would be easy to find one, but it seems to be mission impossible!!

Thanks again.

14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    How expensive are blank dual layer -/+r disks?

15. uppal

uppal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob20

Between £4 and £6 each. DL is only available on +R

16. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SO, I tried and you can set A B points frame by frame in pause mode. Hope this helps.
    Normally the fan noise is normal, no different from GX7 or my other HDD recorder. But from time to time it goes louder for a few secs and then again it is normal. My HDD recorders are not in my cinema room so it more audible the high fan noise, but I can live with it.

17. Maximumbaz

Maximumbaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to agree about the build quality of the Sony, simply superb.

On the other hand, amongst other things, the fan noise was one of the main reasons I sent the Sony back. Sitting about 12 feet away from the machine I could quite clearly hear the fan running. On occasions and for no apparent reason the fan would run up to a rediculous speed and was clearly audible in another room. I found the "normal" fan speed to be too distracting let alone the faster speed.

Then there is that really annoying lack of flexible record and inabilty to split recordings made on the HDD.

I paid a bit extra and swapped it for the Panny DMR-E95 which is a far more usable machine and the fan cannot be heard unless you're about a foot away. I have found that DVD-RAM discs make a lot of noise though.